[ 04 ] night riot

Start from the beginning

     "It looks like you're trying to get us all killed," Wells retorted. "The communications system is dead. You should know that, Jinny, these wristbands are all we have. Take them off and the Ark will think we're dying—that it's not safe for them to follow!"

     "That's the point, Chancellor." Bellamy raised his eyebrows mockingly. "We can take care of ourselves. Can't we?!"

     The delinquents erupted with yells of assent and Jinny stood up, throwing her rod to the side. Murphy, the gang leader boy, bent down to pick it up. He gestured towards the rock by the crackling fire and continued where Jinny had left off with the wristbands.

     "You think this is a game?" Wells started heatedly, turning around to address everyone. "Those just aren't our friends and parents up there. There are farmers, doctors, engineers. I don't care what he tells you, we won't survive here on our own!"

     Bellamy rubbed his chin, a muscle twitching in his jaw with barely contained agitation. There was no doubt that the boy was speaking reason; having the expertise of the people on the Ark would make their lives exponentially easier. Wells turned back to Bellamy challengingly.

     "And besides, if it really is safe; how could you not want the rest of our people to come down?"

     "My people already are down." Bellamy gestured around before pointing to the sky. "Those people locked my people up." He started forwards. "Those people killed my mother for the crime of having a second child. Your father did that."

     "My father didn't write the laws," Wells seethed.

     "No, he enforced them." Bellamy shook his head. "But not anymore. Not here. Here, there are no laws. Here, we do whatever the hell we want. Whenever the hell we want!"

     "Yeah, that's right!!" shouted several people in agreement to his words.

     "You don't have to like it, Wells," Bellamy said. "You can even try to stop it or change it. Or kill me. You know why?" A cocky smile spread across his face. "Whatever the hell we want."

     "Whatever the hell we want!!" Murphy shouted into the crowd and Bellamy raised a hand like a self-satisfied lord as more kids started to pick the line up. It grew into a rising crescendo as the others pumped their fists into the air and chanted almost religiously together.

     Wells took a step forwards to the fire, his dark eyes focused on Jinny as he pointed at her angrily. "This is okay with you?! Weren't you the one who checked the comms yourself?"

     The woman looked back at him frigidly, her eyes flickering towards Bellamy and the rest of the delinquents

     The woman looked back at him frigidly, her eyes flickering towards Bellamy and the rest of the delinquents. Wells took another step closer to her. "Weren't you the one who wanted to survive?" he hissed.

     Jinny took a step back from him, an unreadable expression on her face as he glared expectantly for an answer. She raised her hands up at the sides and shrugged her shoulders as the cheers quieted down. Everyone focused their attention on her, eager to hear what she had to say to their claim.