Can You Hear Me? I'm Screaming...

"Jesse! Dinner!" My mom called out to me.
   "Coming!" I called back.
   Me: Brb, dinner.
   Petra: Ok ttyl.
   I slid my phone back into my pocket and made my way to the kitchen. I could smell the pasta from my room. The sweet aroma drifted into my nostrils and made my stomach growl. I sat down at the table with my mom, a rare occasion that she was actually home for dinner.
   It was Sunday night, and I was dreading school the next day.
   "Jesse?" My mom said.
   "Yeahhhh?" I responded a little nervously.
   "A special day is coming up soon..." She started.
   "Mhmmmm," I replied.
   "And I was thinking... Maybe for you birthday we could go to the mall and get you some new clothes," she said.
   I actually really liked that idea. My clothes were getting so old and worn out, some of them too small for me. Our town didn't have a mall, but we could travel about 45 minutes out of town to one.
   "Yeah, sure. I could use some new clothes and a new style," I replied.
   She beamed a smile at me, almost as if to say, "Finally, I succeeded in finding a good gift for him."
   My mom was never the best at gifts, but I could never complain. She always tried her best but it always seemed like she didn't even know who I was, like she didn't even know my personality or interests, which hurt a little bit. A mother should know her child by now. Now I could finally choose the gifts myself.
   "Great, we'll go this Friday as soon as you get out of school," she said. "And Jesse... I've been thinking. I know your school prom is coming up soon and... I want you to go. I think it would be good for you to socialize a bit."
"Does this woman not know me at all?! Socializing is what I shouldn't be doing!"
   "Uh... I think I'd rather stay home or hang out with Petra or something..." I said, tossing the bow ties around with my fork.
   "Come on Jesse, you can't coop yourself up in that recliner your whole life! You need to get out more often," she said.
   "Mom, you don't understand!" I pleaded.
   "Why not?!" She challenged.
   The last intention I had was telling her about my anxiety. I knew I had to think of something quick.
   "I won't have anyone to go with. Axel and Olivia will be too busy for me and I'll be left all alone," I said.
   "Then find someone to go with because you're going, I already bought your ticket and I'm not wasting my money," she said as she slammed the ticket on the table.
   I stared blankly at the ticket. It was the basketball game all over again. I went because I didn't want to waste my money on the ticket, now I'm being forced to go to prom because of the same reason.
   "I only want what's best for you," she said with a croak.
   Slowly I put my hand on the ticket and slid it towards me. It read "May 7th", a couple of weeks from now.
   My heart was thumping loudly in my chest as I imagined what prom would be like. I envisioned me trying to talk to Axel, him ignoring me, then going to dance with Olivia. I would be stranded, abandoned. I would be standing next to the punch bowl the entire time, a total loner. I can just see myself now as I begin to have a panic attack and run into the bathroom to try and calm myself down, a futile attempt.
   "Ok... I'll go," I said slowly. "I-I need to use the bathroom," I said getting up.
   I went into the bathroom and shut the door behind me, making sure I locked it. I sat on the counter where the sink was and got out my phone.
   Me: Petra...
   Petra: What's up?
   Me: Bad news... I need some help.
   Petra: Talk to me.
   Me: My mom is forcing me to go to prom. She thinks "it will be good for me".
   Petra: Wth why does she think that?
   Me: Idk but there's no getting out of it... I'm scared.
   Petra: Ok tell ya what, how about I go with you and keep you out of trouble, alright?
   Me: Thank you so much.
   Petra: You can always count on me.
   Me: I'll see you tomorrow.
   Petra: Alright, ttyl.
   I made my way back into the kitchen to see my mom cleaning out her dish. I soon finished my food and did the same. I stayed up for a while watching television, and finally at around 11:00 I went into my room to try and sleep. I went through my usual routine, athletic shorts, Reuben comes in my room, and I stare hopelessly at the ceiling. I lay there, tossing and turning, letting my mind wander. Finally at around 5 a.m. I fell asleep. That would give me a solid two hours of sleep.
Petra and I are in a field. We're both sitting on the ground and talking, laughing. Finally I turn my gaze towards her's and both of our faces go blank. I said the words that had been on my chest for a long time now. "Petra... I love you."
"I love you too Jesse," she responded and I leaned forward and kissed her lips.
   My alarm clock went off, interrupting my dream. Wait, what did I dream again? It's on the tip of my tongue... Ugh, I can't remember. That's so frustrating.
   Reluctantly I got up groggily and began to get ready.
"School, can you please just go away?"