Friend, Please

The bike engine sputtered to a stop as we neared the lake. While we were walking up to it I had a flashback from when I was little. My dad used to take me fishing to lakes like this all the time.
"Have you ever fished in this lake?" I asked.
"No, why?" She responded.
"Oh, nothing. Just wondering... My dad used to take me fishing a lot," I said as I laid down in the grass.
"Well, what happened?" Those words tore at my heart and tugged at my brain in recollection.
"He, uh... Well, he left," I said.
"Oh. Jesse I'm-"
"No, no it's fine. Don't worry about it," I said interrupting her.
"Do you wanna talk about it? I'm always here for you, I'll always listen."
I smiled in appreciation. I leaned my head back against the earth and let out a long sigh. "I was in about fifth grade," I started. "I remember that for the last few weeks or months or so that he and Mom hadn't been getting along very well. I would lie awake at night just listening to them argue and yell at each other. One day, I got home from school to see my dad walking out the door with his suitcase. He simply looked down at me, and when I asked where he was going he sighed and got in his truck. I called out to him, but the only reply I got was 'I'm sorry.' And that was the last I ever saw of him. I went inside and my mom was crying at the kitchen table. A few weeks later... I found Reuben. I guess my mom let me keep him because my dad left us, and she thought that it would help me..." I trailed off as I finished.
Petra's head fell onto my shoulder. "I'm sorry..." She whispered, closing her eyes.
"Don't apologize," I said. "Don't apologize for his mistakes."
"Still... I'm sorry you had to go through that."
"It's ok..." I said as I turned on my side. I studied her face and she seemed sad, like she had something on her mind. "What's wrong?" I asked.
"Oh... It's nothing," she said.
"Oh come on, you think you're gonna get away with that? I'm here for you too, I'm here to listen," I told her.
She sighed. "I never knew my mom... She... died... giving birth to me," she said as I saw a tear roll down her face.
I caught the tear with my finger, "I'm sorry... It's not your fault though," I said.
"I know, I know... I still can't help but feel guilty sometimes that she gave her life so that I could live in this world."
"She loved you, and she still does. She wanted you to live a full and happy life," I told her.
She reached into her pocket and pulled out a small piece of paper and handed it to me. It was a picture.
"That's my mom," she said as I studied it.
"Wow, she's beautiful," I exclaimed. She had long scarlet hair that curled down past her shoulders, a soft face, and a slender body that fit the dress she was wearing well. I held the picture up by Petra's face, "You look just like her," I said blushing as I realized what I said.
   "You practically just called her beautiful, you idiot!"
   "No, it's ok. It's ok to compliment girls. It's normal. It's normal for friends to do. She probably didn't even notice."
   The two parts of my thoughts argued as I tried to hide my blush.
   "Jesse Jones," she started with a devious smile, "did you just call me beautiful?"
   I sat up from my position and began rubbing the back of my neck in alarm. "W-well I- you are-" I stammered.
   She giggled and interrupted me by bumping my shoulder with hers, "I'm just giving you a hard time."
"Right..." I said looking at her. Her eyes were tinted red now, the underneaths slightly puffy. "Are you sure you're ok?" I asked.
"Yeah. Yeah..." She sniffled. "It's just... I never even knew her, ya know?"
"C'mere," I said engulfing her in a hug. There was so much emotion put in it from her side. It was almost like she hadn't had a hug for so long and all her emotions came out in one action.
"Thank you," I heard the muffled response as she had her face buried in my chest. "I've never had anyone to talk to about this before..."
"Me neither..." I admitted. Axel and Olivia never offered to talk about it. Now that I think of it we've never had any "serious" conversations before. We were always having fun and being happy. Then Axel and Olivia ditched me for themselves.
I finally felt like I had a real friend. A true, genuine friend. I've known Axel for I don't know how long, and I don't even feel this close to him. If Axel was a true friend then he wouldn't ditch me 24/7 for Olivia.
I love Petra. I have a true feeling of love for her, and I care so deeply for her. I know she's capable of taking care of herself but I will stop at nothing to make sure she's safe.