Chapter 2

Ryland' s Pov

I was sitting through some boring meeting with Marcus trying to keep myself awake. Since the meeting involved training techniques and increases in border patrol I had to be there. 

"So everyone clear on the changes coming up? Starting next week I want all of you to pitch in. A pack meeting will be scheduled for next week to inform the others. We need to train longer and harder and make sure nothing or no one passes our borders"

Everyone agreed and we were dismissed. Man I hated meetings. All I really wanted to do is spend all my time with Marilyn. I know we weren't mates but I loved her. I knew my mate didn't exist so what was the harm in being with someone I cared about.

I knew there was a possibility I could be wrong but about not having a mate but I had to face reality. I was twenty one and mateless. I should have found her by now. It's not normal for wolves to find their mates this late in life so why would I be an exception?

From the looks of it Marilyn didn't have a mate either. I didn't want to think of what would happen if she did. I know it's selfish but I wouldn't just be able to let her go. It was too depressing to think about being without her.

My mom used to tell me that people come into your life for a reason even if it's not always clear why. She never let me forget that every relationship formed was a blessing and that you have to cherish the time you spend with people.

When I first introduced her to Marilyn she told me to not fall to deep or get to the point where I planned our future, that one day I would get my mate and that if I didn't want to end up in a world of trouble I needed to tread lightly. My Dad agreed with her saying that the worst mistake you can make is one that would hurt your mate.

I tried to follow their advice and for a while I believed them. But the more time went by the less true it became. I started having serious feelings for Marilyn and my mate never showed. They would remind me every now and again to be careful but started to accept that I loved her and things weren't going to change.

They respected our relationship and they mostly keep their opinions about us to themselves which I was grateful for. I understood how they felt. They were mated and happy and wanted what was best for me. They just needed to accept that Marilyn was the closest I would ever get to what they had and I was okay with that.  I had accepted  there was no other half for me and eventually they would too.

Daniel's Pov

I finished training and went home to take a much needed shower before heading to this party.

All I wanted to do was go out and take my mind off things. I hoped tonight would be worth my while.

I got dressed and Luke was there right on time. He brought some girls along but I wasn't drunk enough for them to catch my attention yet.

All I wanted was my mate. Most people would have given up by now but I knew she was our there somewhere. I could feel it. It felt like half of me was missing and the other half was silently calling.

I would search the world if I had to in order to find her. I told everyone that in a years time if she didn't show up I would go looking for her. I would be done with college by then and I would have more time to focus on finding her.

When we arrived at the party people were already drunk and passed out. All of a sudden I didn't find it so appealing. My mate wasn't here. I would have been able to since her presence.

"Come on man loosen up you only live once" Luke said encouragingly.

I decided to take his advice and headed toward the bar, might as well make the most of this night.

A few hours later I was almost wasted. I hadn't drank that much in a long time.

A girl with wavy brown hair and crystal blue eyes came up and sat next to me. She tried to make conversation but I wasn't in the right state of mind to comprehend. However I could since she was sad and more than anything she just wanted someone to listen.

"Thank you for listening. I know I've been whining non stop about my pathetic life but you seemed so easy to talk to" she said wiping her tears. That's when I realized I didn't even know her name.

"My names Destiny by the way. No need to tell me yours I know you're Daniel"

I was stunned. She knew my name. I was certain I had never seen this girl in my life and she practically just told me her life story. The next thing I knew she kissed me long and hard before walking away.

I didn't know whether I was seeing things or if she was really real. I did know that it wouldn't be the last time I saw her.