Chapter 13: Choices, Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Mhysra! Derry! You both survived, then?"

Jolted out of his anxieties, Derrain spotted Mherrin inside the nearest enclosure. Dressed in the brown and tan of Wrentheria, he was here to help his mother and any passing stranger.

"More than survived, we passed with honours," Mhysra told her cousin, warming Derrain with her pride and praise. She might have been younger than him, but in Rider terms she was the first person he sought approval from.

"Well done." Mherrin gave Derrain a congratulatory backslap. "Now for your reward. Have you picked out yours yet? If it's one of ours, we'll reserve it for you. You're practically family."

Derrain could only shake his head at the overwhelming offer on such an overwhelming day.

"Steady on, Mherrin," Mhysra said, squeezing Derrain's arm. "We haven't seen them all yet, let alone spotted any favourites. Not that he could go wrong with one of ours, but there are so many. More than I expected."

"Don't take too long," Mherrin warned. "It'll only get busier and it's first come, first claimed. If you do want one of ours, Derry, and I'm not about, don't fret. Mam, Mhylo and Mullia are all here. That's if you've managed to shake this one off." He tugged the end of Mhysra's braid.

She slapped his hand away. "I'm helping him."

"And I'm a pyreflyer," her cousin mocked, looking smug.

Mhysra blinked and Derrain stared. "Are you?" they asked in unison.

Mherrin gave a tentative nod and was instantly engulfed by his delighted cousin. Grinning, Derrain managed to shake his hand and offer his own congratulations, before prising Mhysra off.

"Don't get too excited," Mherrin warned. "But it's why I'm here. Mam talked Da into it. Training doesn't start until Half-Year." His cautious words were ruined by his grin. "Another half-moon. I can't wait!"

They traded congratulations again, before Mhysra pulled Derrain away, admonishing her cousin for distracting them when they had important work to do.

Mherrin rolled his eyes. "If you need a better guide, Derry, let me know. She's biased."

"You'd pair him with a pyrefly," Mhysra retorted. "Just because I prefer feathers over leather, doesn't mean I'm biased. We're Riders."

"We'll see." With a final wave, Mherrin turned away to answer a curious student's questions.

"Ignore him," Mhysra muttered, linking her arm through Derrain's. "I'll help you just fine."

He squeezed her arm. "I know you will. I wouldn't have asked you else."

"Come on then," she ordered, and dragged him around the rest of the eyries.

When they'd completed the circuit and seen every miryhl on offer, Derrain was still no wiser. The pressure was giving him a headache and being surrounded by similarly panicked faces was not helping. The expectation in the building was enormous, enough to make anyone scream.

Apart from Mhysra. Standing near the entrance, she drank from a water flask and gossiped with her Aunt Mhylla, freshly arrived from filing the miryhl registration forms at the Rider offices.

"What will you do now?" Mhylla asked her niece, and Derrain wondered if his input was even expected. Perhaps they should make his Choice between them. They were far more qualified.

Mhysra shook her head. "I'd hoped a couple would catch his eye, but nothing yet."

"What, not one?" Mhylla stared at Derrain, her dark eyes a sharp reminder of her countess sister, plunging him into memories of days aboard ship, scurrying like a rat to keep out of the way. She had the same commanding stare, determined set to her mouth and confidence in the merest twitch of her eyebrow. Formidable ladies the Wrentherin. "Don't you have a list?"