Prologue

~~~~

Norton Harris shivered.

He stared at Orton James, the African-American fraternity brother, and smiled at him.

"No, you're not going to Beta Phi Kappa".

"That's not good".

"No, you're not African-American".

And he walked away, and wished that he was popular as Orton was.

~~~~

"So, how did you go?", Harry Plane asked.

"No. Maybe I can become a pledge for the Phi Kappa Kappa fraternity".

"I don't know, bro. A lot of changes have happened before they let you into the place. The initiation rites are incredible".

"I heard about them".

"Yeah, so you have four years of Greek Life to do what they want you to do. It's mind over matter. You give you're life to them for those years. And you mustn't break any of the rules". Harry smoked a cigarette, he stomped on it with his left boot.

And put it in the silver trash bin.

"What about smoking?", Norton asked.

"I shouldn't be smoking, but I have to do what...Oh, shit! It's Edward Stain. He's the President of Phi Kappa Kappa", Harry answered.

He checked the red carpet.

Edward walked up the carpet.

He smelled the smell of cigarette smoke.

He opened the door.

"Who's been smoking?", Edward asked.

"I have", Harry answered.

"That's a break in the rules. You'll be suspended for a week. Smoking is against the rules. Three strikes and you're out. Got it!".

"Yes, Edward".

He stared at Norton.

"You're new here".

"Yes, Norton Harris. I want to be a pledge to Phi Kappa Kappa fraternity house".

"Well, here's the Fraternity Guide of rules book. Study it. The first day for pledges is at eight o'clock tomorrow morning. Failure to get up early will show you're not committed to Greek Life. I'll see you two later. Good bye!".

"Good bye, Edward", Norton said.

And he heard the door close, as he knew that he was going to be a full pledge member.

At least he hoped so.

~~~~

"I have a date with Chloe".

"That's good".

"She's a sorority pledge at Delta Delta Delta. She is aiming for a four year turn so that she can become popular".

"A lot of pledges want to be popular".

"Sure, that's a dream".

"I want to be popular; I don't want to be left behind", Norton stated.

"You won't be if you follow the rules, and read that book".

"Yeah, I will".

"Sure, do you want some coffee?".

"Yeah, I could be hyper".

"Only if you have more than three cups a day".

And Norton laughed.