Family Comes First

"Cody! How dare you hurt these people!" I hit him again. When I brought my hand back to hit him again Dyson grabbed my arm and hauled me off of my brother. "You are light fae Cody! You swore to me you would never use your magic against someone!" Dyson's arms wrapped around me like a python.

Cody stood up and shook himself off. "Hello to you to Abbi. And I didn't use my magic in a bad way. They are dark fae that are selling diseased fae parts as meat to humans!" I stopped struggling against Dyson.

"What?" Cody gave me a pained look.

"They are hurting humans Abbi. They are dark fae." I slapped Dyson's arm and he let me go. I reached out to Cody and he flinched.

"I am not going to hit you." I held my hand against his face and whispered a command to heal. The bruises I had left vanished.

"Whoa, holy hell. Can you do that on us?" I turned to Kenzi.

"Sorry no. It only works on us Wicca. Our magic attracts the others." I turned back to Cody. "I am sorry Cody; could you explain what is going on here?"

"I came here not too long ago and something felt off. I investigated, and then when I found out what was going on, I had to do something. So I started to do little magic."

"And they are dark fae?" He nodded. "Then Bo you and Kenzi have to deal with this all by yourselves. Dyson and I are light fae, and so is my brother here. We need to leave." I grabbed Dyson's arm and kept my brother under my hand. We got back in the car and drove away.

"So why are you hanging out with this animal again?" Cody asked from the back seat.

"Pissed off Jax Thomason." Cody high fived me and Dyson rolled his eyes. "So mister here is protecting me."

"Dude, you do know that my sister here grew up with seven brothers right? She does know how to handle herself."

"I am very aware of who and what she is. But I made a promise." I turned to him quickly and glared.

"What? Who did you promise and what did you promise?" He kept his eyes on the road and refused to answer me. "Dyson, tell me. What did you promise and to whom?" He still didn't answer. Cody was dropped off at a friend's place and he promised me as long as Bo and Kenzi dealt with the giants he would remain out of trouble.

When we got back to Dyson's place I was still trying to get him to tell me what he promised and to whom. "Dyson just tell me!" He turned sharply and closed his eyes.

"I promised James! I promised him on his death bed that I would protect you." I felt a bit of anger and love. I held out my hands and spoke softly. Suddenly James appeared in caporal form.

"My darling! What has you calling upon me?" I rounded on him. "You seem cross."

"Very observant James, I am very vexed by you." Due to the timing of his death we still had to use the language he was used to hearing.

"What did I do?"

"You made Dyson promise to protect me." He had the decency to blush.

"I am sorry my darling. I know you are capable of protecting yourself, but you cannot be upset with me."

"Really? And how is that so?"

"Because I only asked him to protect what I value most in this world." That made me melt a bit.

"James, I appreciate you wanting me to be safe. I am fully capable of protecting myself though and you know that." He ducked his head.

"I am sorry my dear."