Just A Few Minutes

Start from the beginning

He stared straight ahead at the roads, breaking for the red light. “She won’t stay mad for too long I don’t think.” He said eventually, sounding unsure. “I don’t know. I was pretty mean to her.”

I smiled to myself, because it was hard to imagine anyone would ever be able to stay mad at someone like Derek for too long, if at all. I couldn’t even imagine him being mean.

I reached over and patted his arm gently. “I’m sure whatever you did wasn’t unforgivable.” I told him in the best assuring tone I could muster up. I shot me a grateful smile. “You’re too awesome not to forgive.”

“Thanks.” He muttered smiling a little, as he shook his head. “So you’re really drunk huh?” He asked changing the subject.

I hummed in agreement. “Absolutely hammered.” I confessed, as he turned the car onto my street. My eyes instantly sought out the window of my apartment, to see all the curtains drawn and the lights out.

I felt a stab of loneliness hit my chest.

If my Uncle was in the house he would probably be up right now, sitting right next to the window awaiting my arrival, forcing himself to stay awake to make sure I was safe before heading off to bed.

I hated the thought of going back into an empty apartment.

“Willow.” Derek’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts. My eyes snapped away from the window to him. “Are you alright?” He asked, his expression clearly displaying his concern.

I felt my heart melt a little bit, and the urge to kiss him came back full force. I shook my head to push the thought away.

I needed to stop thinking about doing that. I was really really drunk.

But Derek misconstrued my actions as a negative answer to his question.

His eyes lit up with worry, as he frantically started hammering questions in my direction. “What’s wrong? Did you drink too much? Do you think you’re going to be sick?”

I felt my lips tug into a smile as I shook my head carefully, holding back the urge to laugh. “I’m fine.” I said softly.

He let a deep sigh before cocking his head to the side, his eyes scanning for a lie. “Are you sure?” He asked, obviously noticing something off. He reached up gripping onto my chin so that I was looking directly at him as he searched for an answer in my eyes.

I licked my lips, before my eyes flickered once more back to the lifeless windows of my apartment. “I-I just don’t really want to go home.” I said with a small shrug. “Nothing to worry about really.” I winced.

“Why not?” He asked a little concerned, not at all dismissing my fears.

I sighed. “My Uncle isn’t home.” I said not meeting his eyes. “So I have the apartment to myself. It freaks me out a little.” I shrugged my shoulders again, trying to play off the hollow feeling in my chest as I started thinking about it.

Derek kept looking at me, before nodding his head, and swinging himself around so he could climb out of the car. “Come on. I’ll walk you up.” He said as he opened his door.

I shook my head before following his actions, stumbling a little on my feet as I stepped out. Derek was quickly by my side, steadying me gently.

I thanked him gripping onto the sleeve of his jacket.

“Jesus, how much did you have exactly?” He asked, looking worried. I laughed a little.

“Too much.” I admitted. “I’m really going to regret it in the morning.” Actually I was starting to regret it already, I realised having to use Derek as support as he dragged me to my apartment.