Chapter 3

Dr. Carson stood in the doorway, his dark green eyes wide and the feelings of shock evident on his handsome face. He wore black trousers with well shined leather shoes. The sleeves of his white shirt were rolled up, but his blue and black striped tie was still neatly done around his collar. His massive muscular form was all too well amplified by his clothing and even under the circumstances Belle could not help but feel the lust well up in her as she looked at him.

For a long moment the two simply stared at each other until finally Dr. Carson spoke, "Belle? What...what are you doing?"

Belle's heart was pounding in her chest and the incinerating heat of embarrassment emanated from her cheeks. She took a long hard gulp as she tried to form words, but she knew that even the greatest liar in the world wouldn't be able to come up with a plausible excuse for what she was doing. Tears began to well up in her eyes as she finally spoke. "I'm so sorry Dr. Carson," she said as the tears started to roll down her cheeks, "I shouldn't be in here, and I shouldn't be touching your things or wearing your wife's dress, but I got curious and it's such a beautiful gown."

The look of surprise on the doctor's face faded to concern and he rushed to Belle's side taking her hand. "No, no Belle. I'm not angry I'm just...surprised. I never expected to come home and find the babysitter...I mean you Belle wearing Amber's wedding dress."

A soft smile came across Belle's face and her tears slowed as she sensed the kindness in Dr. Carson's voice and felt her hand being held by the Doctor's strong yet gentle grip. "I still shouldn't have come in here without you or Mrs. Carson's permission. I'm sorry."

The doctor brushed a lock of Belle's beautiful brown hair behind her ear. "You're forgiven. Boredom definitely drove me to do worse things when I was your age. There's no harm done." Dr. Carson smiled as his eyes swept up and down Belle's body, "I must say you look absolutely gorgeous wearing it."

The embarrassing feelings quickly faded although Belle's face stayed beat red when she realized that the doctor's gaze was lingering on her ample cleavage that was nearly spilling out of the dress. She took her hand back from him and wiped the tears from her eyes putting on a smile. "You really think so?"

Dr. Carson chuckled. "Belle I know so. You're truly..." He paused and rubbed his brow. "Well I guess I've just got to be honest and say you're one of the most beautiful young women I've ever met. I hope that doesn't make me sound creepy but it's true."

Belle's smile spread bigger than she ever thought was possible and she began to twist a lock of her long hair. "No. Dr. Carson that's not creepy at all. I'm so flattered."

"Belle please call me Derek," he responded. Moving past her he took a seat on the bed and motioned next to him. "Go ahead and take a seat. How is everything today? I didn't get the text from Amber about her mother until about an hour ago. There was a fairly important patient in this afternoon."

Belle nodded. "Yes Mrs. Carson told me. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother in law. I hope she's going to be alright." Belle brushed some of her hair over her shoulder as she sat down next to Derek on the bed. "Erin's doing great. I didn't tell her anything about her grandma. Figured that was a conversation you and your wife should probably have with her. I made her dinner and we played and watched some TV until I put her to bed."

Derek smiled. "Propriety would have me never wish calamity on anyone, but...between you and me my mother in law can be a piece of work sometimes." He chuckled.

Belle giggled, astonished that he would be so blunt.

"I'm sorry," Derek said, quickly straightening his face. "I hope she's alright too, but to be honest I kind of feel like this is just another problem I won't have time to deal with right now."