[Chapter Two: A Peck Of Birds.]

[Chapter 2: A Peck Of Birds]

"What?" I asked blankly.

"He left!" said the old woman, wringing her hands. "Left to see someone about a batch of cauldrons that fell off the back of a broom! I told him I'd flay him alive if he went, and now look! Dementors! It's just lucky I put Mr. Tibbles on the case! But we haven't got time to stand around! Hurry, now, we've got to get you back! Oh, the trouble this is going to cause! I will kill him!"

"But Mrs. Figg--"

The revelation that this batty old woman knew what dementors were was almost as big a shock to me as meeting three of them down the alleyway. "You're--you're a witch?"

"I'm a Squib, as Mundungus knows full well, so how on earth was I supposed to help you fight off dementors? He left you completely without cover when I'd warned him--"

"This Mundungus has been following me? Hang on--it was him! He Disapparated from the front of my house!" Harry said, as if it all made sense to him now.

Someone had been following Harry? Should I be worried?

"Yes, yes, yes, but luckily I'd stationed Mr. Tibbles under a car just in case, and Mr Tibbles came and warned me, but by the time I got to your house you'd gone-- and now-- oh, what's Dumbledore going to say? You!" she shrieked at Dudley, still supine on the alley floor. "Get your fat bottom off the ground, quick!"

"You know Dumbledore?" said Harry, staring at her.

"Of course I know Dumbledore, who doesn't know Dumbledore? But come on-- I'll be no help if they come back, I've never so much as Transfigured a teabag."

She stooped down, seized one of Dudley's massive arms in her wizened hands and tugged.

"Get up, you useless lump, get up!"

But Dudley either could not or would not move. He remained on the ground, trembling and ashen-faced, his mouth shut very tight.

"I'll do it." Harry took hold of Dudley's arm and heaved.

"Here I'll help." I said. With an enormous effort we managed to hoist him to his feet. Dudley seemed to be on the point of fainting. His small eyes were rolling in their sockets and sweat was beading his face; the moment we let go of him he swayed dangerously.

"Hurry up!" said Mrs. Figg hysterically.

Harry pulled Dudley's massive right arm around his own shoulders, so I took his left, and we dragged him towards the road, sagging slightly under the weight. Mrs. Figg tottered along in front of us, peering anxiously around the corner.

"Keep your wand out," she told Harry, as we entered Wisteria Walk. "You too, Acacia!" She snapped, catching me waver the wand and almost dropping it, "Never mind the Statute of Secrecy now, there's going to be hell to pay anyway, we might as well be hanged for a dragon as an egg. Talk about the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery... This was exactly what Dumbledore was afraid of-- what's that at the end of the street? Oh, it's just Mr. Prentice... Don't put your wand away, boy, don't I keep telling you I'm no use?'