That's When I Knew

I drove to the hotel Kai was staying at with Keaton still on my mind.  I tried pushing him into the back of mind and got out of the car.  I walked through the hotel lobby and found the elevator.  Once inside the elevator, I pressed the number five.  Kai’s room number was 503.  I walked down the long hallway, and turned down another until I found his room at the end of the hall.  I pulled the key from my back pocket and opened the door.

                I stepped inside, letting the door slam behind me.  The room was huge.  I noticed it had two bedrooms, a small dining area, and a small living room area.  The wall directly in front of me was made up of giant windows, and he had a nice view.  I didn’t see Ellie, or any sign of her.  I walked to the closed bedroom door and opened it slowly.  Kai was lying in bed, a sheet barely covering his body.  I walked up the bed, sitting down beside him.  I traced my finger over his collar bone and I watched his chest rise and fall, taking in a deep breath.  “Glad you found use of your key.” He smiled, opening his eyes.

                “I’m glad you decided to wake up.” I teased, poking his side.

He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me closer.  “Now I have a reason to finally wake up.”

                “Where’s Ellie?”

                “She went to pick up a pizza and drinks.  She just left about five minutes ago, or at least I think.” He let out a laugh.

I smiled and leaned down to meet his lips, but stopped a few inches away.  “Good, that means I can do this.”  I met his lips, feeling that electric jolt I always felt when I kissed him.  Except it felt a little stronger, and I liked that.  My mind was a little fuzzed from Keaton, but I pushed through it to focus on Kai, even though it was really hard.

                I pulled back, looking into his eyes that I’ve missed so much.  “How did it go with Keaton?” He asked.  “Fine, I guess.”

He smiled up at me.  He lifted his hands and caressed my face gently into his palms.  “I don’t have anything to worry about, do I?”

I didn’t think so.  “Of course not.  What kind of question is that?” I laughed.

                “I’m sorry; I guess that wasn’t really a question to ask.” His laugh was nervous.

                “Its fine, but you should know you have nothing to worry about.”

He pushed himself up into a sitting position and pulled me into his lap.  He wrapped me up in his arms and I was enveloped by his warmth.  I nuzzled my face into the crook of his neck, breathing in the familiar scent.  “I’m so glad you’re here.” I whispered, leaving a small kiss on his neck.

                “I’m so glad to be here.  I didn’t want to wait to see you.  It’s been ten months too long.”

I snuggled closer, wrapping my arms around his neck.  Kai felt like home.

                Ellie showed up fifteen minutes later with a large pizza and a huge grin.  “I am so glad you guys are together again.” She cheered as she sat down at the table with us.

Kai and I shared a look and laughed.  Ellie was always excited about everything.  I kind of wish I was more like her, but I was born a pessimist.  Keaton brought out the positive side of me and after I moved to New York, I became Negative Nancy.

                After we ate pizza and watched a few movies, Ellie and I decided to leave to get ready for dinner.  I walked with Kai into his room and kissed him quick.  “I will see you in two hours.” I said and kissed him again.  This time he smiled into it, “Good.”  One more kiss and I left his room and met Ellie by the elevators.  I never exactly kiss Kai in front of her, and I don’t plan on it.  It’s kind of weird.