Always Have, Always Will

"Keaton!  It's really bad this time." I sobbed into the phone.  Just then I heard the distant sound of a dish clashing against the tile of the kitchen floor.

                "Lucy!  Listen to me!  Calm down!" He demanded with a hint of kindness to his tone.  "Lock your bedroom door; I'll be there in five minutes.  Lock yourself in your bathroom if you have to."

I couldn't reply.  My breath hitched in my throat, and I hung up the phone as best as my trembling hands could.  I opened my closet, pulling out a baseball bat.  I walked into my bathroom, locking the door behind me.  I cowered in the corner, trying to catch my breath.

                I heard more of my mom’s screams, and my step-dad continued yelling.  He lost his job today, and he's blaming me and my mom.  He's called my mom every horrible name he could think of, and hit her countless times.  I tried stopping him, but he knocked me out of the way.  I hit the corner of my head on the corner of one of the kitchen counters, and I could feel my hair sticking to the small patch of blood.  I couldn't even think about getting it cleaned. 

                My mom yelled at me, and told me to run to my room.  I did as she said, and locked the door.  I called the cops before I called Keaton, and I'm not sure who would be here first.  I just closed my eyes, and focused on my breathing.  Breath in, breath out.  Repeat.  All of a sudden I heard the sirens, and banging on the front door.  "Who called the police?" I heard my step-dad yell.  It was more of a growl that made me cower back even more.

                I heard knocking on my door, and I was too scared to open it.  "Luce, it's me." It was Keaton's smooth voice.  I jumped up from the floor, and gave my shaking legs a second to adjust.  I opened the bathroom door, and ran to my bedroom door.  I fidgeted with the lock, and swung the door open.  Keaton immediately pulled me into his arms.  "You're safe now." He whispered.

                "Is my mom okay?"

                "She's fine.  The EMT's are taking care of her."  He pulled away, examining me.  "Are you okay?"

I reached to the back of my head, "I hit my head pretty hard."

He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, and brought me into the living room.  My step-dad was being put into cuffs, and when he saw me, I knew I would regret calling the cops.  But he's going to be locked up, and I didn't care.  I knew this would be the last time I see him.

We waited for him to be brought outside, and we followed them a few feet behind.  He brought me to the ambulance, and my mom was sitting there sobbing uncontrollably.  "Mom." I said softly.  She faced me, and her crying only became worse.  She leaped off of the back of the van, and hugged me tight.  "I'm so glad you're safe, Lucy." She kissed my cheek, and hugged me tighter.  "I'm so sorry.  This will never, ever happened again.  I can promise you that."

I knew she meant it, and I felt it.  I pulled away from her, and one of the EMT's grabbed my hand, and I boosted myself on the back of the van.  I pointed to the back of my head, and he examined it.  "Good news.  You don't need stitches.  I'm going to clean it up, and give you a few ice packs.  I'm sure the police will want to speak to you and your mother."

                I was relieved it wasn't that bad.  I looked at my mom again.  She had a busted lip, and a bruised cheek.  I was expecting worse.  My mom wondered off towards the cops to give them her statement.  After a few minutes, it was my turn.  I gave them all the information I could.  "Do you guys have somewhere you can go tonight?" One police officer asked.

                "I don't think-"

                "They can stay with me." Keaton interrupted my mom.