Chapter 9: Phoenix

Start from the beginning

********

I was hiding behind the staircase as I heard laughter at the door.

He was here. Why did my dad have to go to the fundraiser? Why couldn't mom stay with me? Why couldn't I just go and stay with Ace? Why did this keep happening to me?

"Phoenix must be hiding. I'll go find him." My dad said.

"No, I got it. If we waste anymore time, you'll be late for the fundraiser. You two should go." I heard his voice from the door. He sounded smug, I could hear the excitement in his voice. He was looking forward to looking for me. The hunt.

The voice that made be shrink in fear and whimper softly, I didn't want to make too much noise. I didn't want him to hear me. I didn't want him to find me.

"Are you sure?" My dad asked nervously. I could tell he was anxious to leave.

"Positive. We'll be fine." He said with fake innocence. I knew that voice, he had plans for me.

"Alright. Phoenix, we are leaving! We love you!" My dad yelled. I heard a giggle from my mother before I heard the door open.

I heard the door shut and I knew it was just me and him. We were alone.

His boots made a sound as he walked around. "Phoenix." He sang in a taunting, menacing voice. It was like his voice echoed off of the walls. It was eerie, terrifying.

"You know the longer you hide, the more it's gonna hurt. Don't make me look for you Phoenix."

I knew he was telling the truth, but that still didn't make me want to come out of hiding. I wanted my parents. Why can't they make him go away?

"No?" He laughed. He was close, he was coming towards the staircase. I shrunk back, trying to make myself smaller. Maybe he wouldn't see me.

Who was I kidding? He would always find me eventually. But still, he walked right past the staircase and I watched him walk into the kitchen.

This was my only chance.

I bolted. Running towards the door. This was my one shot. I could run to a neighbor or I could run to Ace's house. I was almost there, I reached out to grab the door knob.

Sadly, my moment of possible freedom was shot, when I felt hands wrap around me.

"No! Let me go, please!" I yelled. I pleaded for him to let me go. Scratching at his arms and hands trying to loosen his hold.