Goin' Through Stages (Part 1)

Elijah peeked in to Odette's office for the second time that morning, she was late. He turned his attention to the proposal he was reading on his tablet as he leaned up against his desk. Finally, he heard Odette's decompressing sigh as she walked in to her office and turned her computer on. Elijah kept his eyes on his tablet as Odette walked in to his office holding his cup of coffee.

"Good morning sir." She said cheerfully as she placed his coffee on the desk along with a couple of memos.

"Good morning Ducky...you're late, why?" He asked as he caught her by the hand as she tried to pass him. With a gentle pull Odette found herself wrapped in his arms.

"You asked me to sit in on the promotions meeting for you. That was this morning." She said turning around to face him.

"Oh... I forgot." He murmured as his gazed dropped to her lips. Elijah leaned in for a kiss and Odette pulled away from him. "What's wrong?"

"What if someone comes in?" she whispered as she put distance between them.

"So what, I don't care." He said with a shrug as he reached for her but Odette kept her distance.

"But I do. I don't need people talking about me behind my back."

"Let 'em talk, it doesn't matter as long as you know what we have is genuine." He tried reaching for her again, desperate to hold her and kiss her fears away.

"Elijah I like this job, it's great working for you and I do not want to mess this up. Can't we just keep our private lives and business lives separate... At least for now?" she pleaded the last thing she needed was an office romance scandal to worry about. Elijah could see that she was serious about their relationship remaining private, for now he would not fight about it.

"Okay fine Ducky, have it your way." He said with a sigh. "But as soon as five o'clock comes business is over, so don't even try to reject me when I come to kiss you."

"Yes sir," Odette said giving him a mock salute, she was just happy that he was so understanding about her position.

"Can I get a little peck just to start my day?" Elijah tapped his cheek as he mustered up his best pouting face. Odette opened the office door and peaked out to make sure no one was coming before standing on the tips of her toes to kiss Elijah's cheek. Elijah quickly turned his head to catch her lips, Odette pinched his arm as he chuckled.

"I didn't promise that I would always stay on my best behavior." He said with a wink.

"Drink your coffee while it's still hot." Odette grumbled as she turned to leave. Elijah pulled her back in to him her back hitting his chest. He wrapped his arms around her and nuzzled her neck.

"Didn't we just-"

"-Will you go somewhere with me Friday night."

"Where?"

"A friend of mine is having a gallery opening and she's invited us. All of my friends from college will be there and I would love to show you off to them." He said as Odette's heart sank, although Elijah was proud of her Odette couldn't see herself being able to spend an entire evening with his friends. She didn't come from an elite background like they did nor did she have a name-brand degree. She was just an ordinary black girl from Queens there was nothing interesting about that. But she didn't want to disappoint him.

"Sure." She said as the telephone rang using it as an excuse she broke away from his grasp and rushed out of the office.

****