Chapter 4

Vic flipped open her phone. Her hands shook as she frantically started dialing.

"Josh! Josh I don't know what to do! There's soldiers waiting for me to pack up my things and I only have an hour and I have no idea what's happening right now and-"

"Calm down Vic," Josh's gentle voice cut her off, "You'll be okay. Take a deep breath. Now, slow down and tell me what's happening."

Vic tried her best to explain to Josh that the soldiers were there because she was a water mage and that they demanded she be ready to leave in an hour with only the things she absolutely needed. 

Josh spoke slowly, "Just necessities, huh? Well, what are some things you need?" he paused, "Clothes. I'd guess about a week's worth. Can you do that?"

Vic nodded, but of course he couldn't see her through the phone. She went to her closet and pulled out five of her favorite shirts and three pairs of jeans. She began to compose herself. "Okay, I have clothes. I also need some hair ties. And a toothbrush."

"Good, go find those."

 Vic rushed to the fancy bathroom that was connected to her bedroom and gathered all the stuff she needed, then dropped it all into her bag. She also grabbed a few more items from around her room.

"You got everything you need?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Okay. Stay in your room and talk to me for as long as you can. Do you want to talk to Cass? She's still here."

"No. I kinda just want to sit in comfortable silence." 

"That's fine. I'm here if you want to talk."

There was a few minutes of silence.

Vic inhaled deeply, then slowly released the breath, "Thanks for helping me out even though you have no idea what's going on."

"It's all right Vic. You'd do the same for me. You'd probably do the same for a random stranger. You're the nicest person I've ever met and I appreciate all you've done for me. If I ever see you again-"

"NO!" Vic jumped up from her bed and shouted into her phone, "Don't you go making this into goodbye! I swear to god this isn't goodbye! We can't just never see each other again!" Tears were streaming down her face and beginning to soak the front of her navy blue band shirt. "We have to see each other. It can't just end like this. Josh please!" She sobbed and gasped for breath.

Josh sniffled, but covered it up with a sigh, "Vic, I can't promise we'll see each other again. I'm not going to lie to you. But I can promise that I'll do everything I can to find you, as long as you'll try to find me."

There was a long pause. Vic composed herself once again. She didn't want their last memories of each other to include her screaming and violently sobbing into the phone. 

"O-okay." Vic sniffled. "Tell the others I'll come back one day," she paused and swiped her nose on the sleeve of her sweatshirt then took a deep breath and continued, "I love you Josh. You're the best friend I ever had and I'm going to miss you so much. You were always there for me and listened to me even though I'm a walking train wreck. I could never thank you enough for all you've done for me. See ya later man."

Josh chuckled, "Yeah Vic, see ya." Then he hung up. 

Vic fell to the floor, a blubbering mess. Why did she have to go and use her powers? If she had just kept it to herself like she was told, she'd be out with Josh and the others right now, probably at the skate park, screwing around, laughing, having fun. But instead, she was about to leave with people she didn't know to go god knows where and probably have to join the military. All because she wanted to fill a water bottle without getting up. 

After what felt like days, Vic pulled herself up and leaned on her bed, pulling her knees up to her chest. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and with a flick of her wrist, the cup on her nightstand fell on its side, spilling its contents onto the gorgeous wooden floor. She moved her hand again and the water lifted up off the ground. Her eyes fluttered open, and she guided the water to the old piano. Last time. Better make this one count. She drew in another breath, and as she exhaled, she began to play. Water rushed over the keys, forming a haunting melody. Its minor key resonated throughout the room, and before long Vic was lost in playing. But once again, the song was ended all too soon by a violent pounding on her door. 

"Vic. It's been two hours. You need to leave. Now." Mrs. Martin spoke curtly.

"Yes ma'am." Vic picked up her bag and dispersed the water particles into the air. She pushed open her door and headed for the front of the house, where she found Alyssa waiting with her parents. She approached her friend, but was met with shocking rudeness. 

"This is why we told you to hide your powers. Your mother didn't want this. We tried to protect you, but all you did was defy us and complain. Leave now, and don't ever come back," she snapped, and turned her back and began to walk away. 

"You insolent child," Mrs Martin whispered so that only Vic could hear, "Hurting my daughter like that. You deserve any and every punishment you might receive." 

This pushed Vic past her breaking point. Scowling, she gathered all the water particles she could from the air, pulled them over Mrs. Martin's head, and dumped it, soaking her. Her hair fell out of place and her makeup ran down her cheeks.

"I hope you get beat senseless without me around to protect you!" She shouted to Alyssa, then stormed out the front door, the soldiers following behind her, weapons aimed at her back.