Chapter 4 : Me? You? Banquet?

Veronica was typing on her Hp computer in her office when there was a knock.

"Come In" Veronica called as she stopped typing and looked at the door.

The door opened, revealing her boss Ms.Gardner's face.

Veronica pushed her chair back and smiled as Ms.Gardner walked in.

"Ms.Gardner! What a wonderful surprise to see you" Veronica said with a gentle smile.

"Awh Veronica, how are you darling?" Ms.Gardner said as she went and sat down across from Veronica.

"Im good good, what brings you here?" Veronica asked as she slid off her glasses.

"Well as you know Essence is having our 54th Anniversary Banquet coming up, and We would like you.. Miss Veronica Brown to give a speech, celebrating Essence." She smiled.

"Oh Ms.Gardner, I would LOVE too! This is such an honor!" Veronica said smiling, placing her hand over her chest.

"Good then" Ms.Gardner said as she stood up from her seat. She began walking towards her door when she stopped.

"And Veronica?"

"Yes Ms.Gardner?"

"Bring your lovely Boyfriend.." Ms.Gardner said as she smiled.

"Shit" Veronica cursed under her breath.

"What was that?"

"Yes, Yes of course he will be there.."

Ms.Gardner nodded her head up and down before exiting the room.

She waited till her door was closed before she began cursing.

What boyfriend could Ms.Gardner,be possibly talking about?

Veronica closed her eyes and rested her head on her desk.

Who the hell could she bring as her "boyfriend".

And that's when it sinked in.

"Dillon" Veronica whispered before picking up her bag and searching for the card he left.

She found the card and stared at it.

Was she really going to call an escort to pose as her "boyfriend"? Was Veronica really going to stoop that low?

Veronica picked up her work phone and began dialing the number from the card.

She began tapping her pen as she waited for Dillon to pick up.

"Hello?" A deep voice answered.

"Ugh...Is this Dillon?" Veronica asked while looking around her office, making sure no one was snooping around.

"Yes,  who is this?"

"This is Veronica Brown.. the other night.. ?"

"Oh " He chuckled. "I knew you'd call back for more."

Veronica rolled her eyes.

"Look I have a banquet that I have to give a speech too, and I was wondering if you could possibly be my...my...my.."

"Date?"

"Yes..That!"

"How much we talking?" Dillon said.

"1000 for the night."  He said being assertive.

"That's kind of much for a few hours"

Dillon sighed, well I guess you'll have to find someone else to be your date.

"No, no no!" Veronica pleaded.

"Meet me at the mall at 5" and with that Dillon hung up the phone.