chapter nineteen: [surprises? ice rinks?]

Start from the beginning

I struggled more and something came loose, but not enough. Allison was struggling just as hard, like her father was.

   "When all it would take to change everything is one bite."

The same man from the gas station, the one with the bike, walked behind Argent, who wasn't struggling anymore. He held out a phone and, just then, Argent broke free, breaking the chair. He unwrapped his hands and grabbed the phone.

"One bite-" The phone spoke, Argent hitting the stop button.

    "Everything changes." Her dad nodded.

"Is this how we're going to do daughter-father talks from now on?!" Allison snapped angrily.

"No, this is how we're going to train you. Both of you." He looked to us.

   I furrowed my eyebrows. I'm not an Argent. I mean, I would like to fight like Allison does. When that lizard thing almost attacked us, Allison went into fight mode, grabbing knifes and challenging it. I stood there, frozen. Scared to death.

Not something I enjoyed feeling.

   "Do you know why we use arrows?" Her dad asked.

"They can't heal until it's taken out." Allison answered.

He turned to the motorcycle guy, who handed him a snapped in half arrow.

   "Look familiar?" He looked to Allison. I raised my eyebrows and looked to her. Is that what she used to stop a deputy from killing Isaac?

             Nice.

 "You were going to kill him." She snapped.

"That's the hard choice we make." Her father responded. "But it wasn't my choice."

   "Gerard." Allison angrily snipped.

"No." He shook his head. He walked over to Allison, behind her chair.

     "You see, our family has a surprisingly progressive tradition." He nodded. "Knowing wars and violence are typically started by men, we place the final decisions, the hard ones-"

         "With the women."

  "Our sons are trained to be soldiers." He spoke loudly. "Our daughters- to be leaders."

Argent slipped the arrow into Allison's tied hands, before walking away.

    "Training starts now."

    The motorcycle guy started a timer, before walking out with Argent.

"Great." I nodded.

   "This- this can't be that hard, right?" Allison looked to me. I sighed.

"I don't know, you're the one with the sharp arrow. Saw yourself out." I shrugged. Her eyes went wide and she began, wincing when she marked her fingers accidentally. I huffed and attempted standing up, leaning over so the chair let me move. I looked around, to see if I could break the chair, like Argent did. It seemed to work well.

   I found the doorway from what would be this room to the front door. I smiled and walked over, aligning the bottom half of the chair with the wall. I turned, before slamming it to the door. It hurt, but all the chair did was crack.