Chapter 2

Suzanne always made sure to wake up extra early so she could eat breakfast in peace before the household was up. She wanted to avoid eating with her stepfamily which was why she always went to the trouble. After she ate, she left the manse to head for school, only to find Shin standing on the driveway. Gregor, my driver, was currently talking to him. It seemed like he was trying to get Shin off the property, but Shin didn't seem to be listening to him.

"I have come to fetch you," Shin said as he walked up to her.

Gregor looked surprised.

"Miss Suzanne... This is someone you know?" he asked.

Suzanne was conflicted. This man didn't seem right in the head, so she definitely didn't want to be dragged away with him, but if he could jump off her balcony and still be fine, then he wasn't just a regular person... She wanted to tell Gregor she didn't know him, but she also didn't want trouble. Would it be wise to try to hear him out first?

"...Yes," Suzanne answered finally. "I'll talk with him for a bit. I'll head to school... with Karen."

Gregor looked surprised.

"...Maybe. I can be late too, if I really don't feel like going with her," Suzanne added.

Suzanne turned to Shin.

"Shall we go?" she asked him.

"Now that you've cleared up the misunderstandings with this man, let us be off," Shin said as he turned away and began to walk off.

Suzanne followed after him. When they were safely out of Gregor's earshot, Suzanne spoke.

"My time during the daytime is taken up with activities. I'm a busy person, so if you want a guide, you're better off looking for someone else," Suzanne said.

"If it's your daily life, I will not intervene," Shin answered. "But I need a guide, and Terril is not sufficient enough to educate me of human ways. I've revealed myself to you, thus I have chosen you. I won't allow you to defy me."

Suzanne frowned.

"What happens if I decline?" Suzanne asked.

His eyes flashed dangerously towards her, and Suzanne felt the air around her get colder.

"Do you dare ask?"

Suzanne shivered, but couldn't bring herself to answer under his oppressive aura. She was normally outspoken, but for once, she could only keep her mouth shut from fear.

"You will report to me before your morning activities," Shin told her. "However, today, I request you take time off of your daily schedule. Terril and I have found a home, and you will aid us with it."

"I can't—"

"I believe you still doubt my lineage," Shin said. "So I will show you that I am a demon from Hell."

Shin stopped in front of a mansion.

"Behold. This will be my domain in this realm," Shin answered as he gestured towards the mansion. Suzanne felt her heart sink.

Suzanne's home was fairly deep in the neighborhood, but this mansion was a little more isolated from the other mansions, having the biggest lot of land. However, it was abandoned, and there were rumors that it was haunted. An accident always happened whenever someone tried to enter the mansion, and someone would always leave with injuries.