His Owl Way

"Can't we break the door down?" Lace asked as she walked over to Crush.

"Not just the two of us. I'll text the others to let them know we're here," Crush said and turned to his phone, while Lace tried not to panic.

Marmie, Harry and Jim arrived shortly after. "What's up? Did Loudmouth lock you in here?" Marmie said from the other side.

"I don't feel too good," Crush said quietly behind Lace as she was about to answer. She sent a sympathetic glance in his direction and was about to turn towards the door to answer Marmie, when she noticed Crush glowing blue. Then a green light started emanating from her. The light around them felt strangely warm and cold at the same time and then whoosh. They both felt their stomachs turn like they were on a rollercoaster, the lights disappeared and in the room were now an owl and a fruit bat.

All of a sudden, there was a cacophony of various animal sounds from both sides of the door before the voice of Marmie rang out.

"Hey y'all. Listen up, we're in luck. We're still able to speak so we won't have to try to communicate through hoots and bellows and whatever the sound I'm able to make is!"

"By all means that shouldn't be possible as none of these animals have the organs of speech needed to produce the complex sounds humans make when they speak, but this is Freak Week, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised," Jim added.

"Whatever, lil duck dude. Harry's about to save the day. Stand back on the other side of the door!" Harry said loudly, and the two winged beings fluttered a couple of meters back.

A series of louds bangs later and the door flew off its hinges into the room landing where Crush and Lace had stood before. In the doorway was a large bull grinning widely. Behind him was a duck and a platypus standing side by side.

"Wow, Harry. I like it when you use your head this way," Marmie the platypus said.

If a bull could blush, Lace was sure that Harry would've been beet red at that comment.

"Thanks Harry, but we don't have time to celebrate. Loudmouth has taken Banana. We need to find her!" Lace said.

"Oh fudge, well let's divide and conquer! Flying beasts in one direction and land walkers in the other," Marmie quickly commanded.

"That seems like a good idea, even if I am sad to leave you in the other group. That bill is fascinating to me," Jim said. Harry looked at him and let out a big huff of air from his nostrils.

Jim quickly spread out his wings. "Like I said: It's a good idea. Let's fly guys!"

With that Lace, Crush and Jim all flew down the hall.

"Am I the only one who hears that scratching noise?" Lace said a short while after.

"No, I hear it as well," Crush responded.

"A scratching sound?" Jim said. "Oh right, you guys' hearing. Of course being the mammal with the keenest sense of hearing and an owl you would..."

As Jim went through the sense of hearing for owls and bats, Crush stopped in midair shaking his head. Lace stopped shortly after while Jim Duck flew further away.

"Crush? What's wrong?" Lace said as she noticed his eyes turn dark for a second. He let out a screech, stretched out his talons and flew directly at Lace who quickly dodged him.

"... of course normally, the two animals wouldn't combine their sense of hearing the way that you two do, given that an owl is a bat's natural predator," Jim finished his thought as he looked back at the scene behind him.