Chapter 5

Jessica

The next morning, I rose before dawn to take another crack at the story. I made a fresh pot of coffee in my French press and downed a quick bowl of Wheaties, while checking email. Just for the hell of it, I peeked out the window again. Still no van. Good. I scrubbed out the pan in the sink and topped off my coffee, before opening my word processing program.

* * *

Alexis

Alexis couldn't believe she was going anywhere with Swede. She had sworn that she'd never talk to the man again, let alone travel with him.

I must be losing my mind.

But what he told her had scared her. Swede actually seemed to believe that her life was in danger from these people looking for the research he and Daniel had conducted. Research so secret and dangerous, he still wouldn't tell her about it.

Alexis stared out the passenger window of Swede's rented compact. She'd wanted to take her own car, but Swede was afraid they'd be followed. She'd tossed the few bare necessities into a paper bag and, at Swede's insistence, "disguised" herself as best she could by wearing a hoodie, under which she tucked her hair. It had started to rain, providing the perfect excuse for Swede to dash for the car with his jacket over his head. He'd pulled the car up to the building, where Alexis had jumped in.

"I can't believe you brought a laptop," Swede said.

"I've been working too hard on this thesis to just leave it behind," Alexis snapped. In a forlorn voice, she added, "Who knows when I'll be able to go home again?"

Besides, maybe her experiences would add a new dimension to her thesis on existentialism. She giggled and shook her head.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing." She waved a hand. "There's nothing funny about any of this."

Even so, she couldn't stop smirking. How ludicrous was this? Her dead fiance's lab partner with whom she'd had a previous failed relationship was now whisking her away from some unidentified bad guys who were looking for research she knew nothing about. She snickered into her hand, in a desperate bid to stop herself.

"What?" Swede said.

"C'mon. Isn't this just the slightest bit absurd? Don't you feel the least bit . . . awkward?"

Swede's eyes darted between the rear view mirror, the road and Alexis. "I probably would. If I weren't scared shitless."