01; {season 1}

Chapter One.

It had been a long and tiring day at school. There weren't more than eight people in the brunette's class – while normally there would be twenty-four. Their teacher didn't even try to make the lesson work; he seemed to be a little bit strange and off himself.

Gabrielle was able to catch a ride with Alicia and her mother Madison – the guidance counsellor. She played with the hem of her shirt as she tapped away on her phone with her other hand. Her bright blue eyes shone with worry when she saw her sister hadn't texted her back yet.

They were heading to the hospital straight after school to go and see Nick but they were dropping her off at home first.

"I wish I could see him." Gabrielle mumbled as she put the device away. "But Annabelle is very sick and I promised to bring her take out and take care of her. She isn't answering her texts so I need to see her. Is it alright if I come check on him tomorrow? I really want to know how he's doing."

"Sweetheart," Madison started – as she looked at the teen in the rear view mirror. "I'm sure Alicia will keep you updated. Is she really that sick? You can drive with us to school tomorrow if you want."

"Yeah," Gabrielle nodded. "She has that same thing that everyone else has – that virus that people are talking about. I got my flu shot last week so I'm guessing that's the reason I haven't had it yet. And that would be great, thank you."

"Of course," Madison smiled – but you could see the worry in her eyes for her only son. "Give her my best wishes."

"I will." Gabrielle replied as Madison pulled up at her small white house.

"I'll text you tonight." Alicia said, she smiled slightly at her best friend as she got out of the car. "And be careful. I have a strange feeling. If anything happens come to my place. I'll be home at eight."

Gabrielle's house was a mere three minute walk away from Alicia's house. That's the reason they had become best friends. They had stumbled into each other ten years ago and were inseparable ever since.

"You always have a strange feeling." Gabrielle grinned. "See ya, Licia. And thank you again Madison."

The blonde waved her off and smiled gently before starting the engine of her car again. The two Clark's drove off silently while Gabrielle turned to her small house.

The blinds were closed and Gabrielle searched her forest green bag for her house keys. She brushed her locks behind her ear as she entered her house. The smell of fresh roses and lilies filling her nose – mixed with something strange.

Gabrielle furrowed her eyebrows. "Annabelle? I'm home!"

No answer.

"You want me to order Chinese or Pizza?"

Still no answer.

The blue eyed girl's frown deepened as she walked through the kitchen towards her sisters bed room. There were low groans coming from inside and she softly knocked on the door. Her heart skipped a few beats as fear took over her body.

"Belle?" she called before opening the door slowly.

Her sister was sweating terribly – her eyes clenched shut in pain. Her breathing was ragged as she clutched onto the sheets she was lying on. Gabrielle's eyes widened as she rushed forwards – feeling her forehead.

"Oh, god." she mumbled and furrowed her eyebrows. "Sis, is there anything I can do for you?"

"W – water." she mumbled quietly.

Gabrielle nodded and hurried into the kitchen to fill up a glass with ice cold water. She grabbed a small towel from under the sink and soaked it with cold water as well before making sure it wasn't going to leak.

"There you go," she said softly as she put the wet towel on her forehead before helping her sister take a few sips of the cold liquid. "Anything else you need? Food? Pillows? More sheets?"

"I'm fine, Gabi." her sister smiled weakly. "You're doing more than enough."

"What did the doctor say?" she asked. "Did he give you any medicine?"

"They were closed." Annabelle croaked. "No one was answering so I headed for the hospital to see if I could find Matthew. Y – you know who Matthew is, right?" Gabrielle nodded her head. "It was chaos, Gabs. There were so many p - people and some were screaming. I – I don't know what – something is happening."

"It is that virus going around." Gabrielle stated as she rubbed her wrist. "It's all over the news but people are brushing it off it is nothing. I don't even know what it is. It has to be worse than the flu, though. You look like death. My school was cancelled early today because no one showed up. That never happened before – even the teachers looked worried."

"I need you to listen to me, Gabi." Annabelle started. "No matter what happens you look out for yourself, alright? Don't follow the crowd – go the other way. M - make sure you stay safe."

"You make it sound like the end of the world." Gabrielle chuckled slightly. Annabelle didn't smile but looked up at her sister. "It isn't, is it?"

"Of course not." she reassured the blue eyed girl. "Just try to avoid the virus."

"I don't get sick easily." Gabi shrugged. "You work at a hospital so it is inevitable you get sick every now and then. But this is extreme."

"I'll live." Annabelle said.

"Should I order some Chinese?" Gabrielle changed the topic. "I don't know about you but I am starving. Might do you some good."

"That would be nice." Annabelle nodded as she shut her eyes in pain once again. "O - order the soup for me, please."

"Will do." Gabrielle jumped off the bed and left her sister back to resting.

Annabelle couched loudly – almost as if she was choking and held her hands up to her face. When she was done she lowered them and her eyes widened slightly. The tips of her fingers were covered in dark red blood.

"Gabrielle," she muttered. "Get out of the house."

But her sister was already on the phone with the delivery guy – not noticing her sisters distress.

{Matthew is Annabelle's co worker at the hospital.}