Prologue

He entered his Knightsbridge flat, chucking the keys in the bowl by the door and throwing his bag on to the lounge chair. It had just been 4pm, much too soon for him to return back home vs his usual 8pm return, and if he looked at the past couple of months, his usual 9-10pm return.

There was a reason for his early return, he had flight to catch that evening, back home to India, and he was yet to pack. If he didn't hurry up he was going to miss he flight, which to be fair, in his mind, wasn't such a bad thing. He had purposely not booked a ticket on the earlier flight to delay going back home as much as he could.

His phone rang just then. He had expected it. It was his mom. He picked it up.

"Yes Mom!" he said after hearing her "I am packing right now"

His Mom's voice went a couple of decibels higher on hearing this, enough for him to have to move this phone away from his ears.

"I can hear you just fine Mom" he said, still holding the phone a bit away "You don't need to scream. Can you please reduce your volume?" he asked her.

Finally seeing that she had, he brought the phone closer to his ears before continuing to talk "Mom, you know I pack really quickly. I will be make it to the airport on time" he told her

"I know I have to be there for the functions Mom. Can you please relax just a bit?" he asked her

"Mom! Mom!" he said interrupting her next tirade "If you want me to really make it on time, you need to let me get off the phone, else I will miss this flight for sure"

"You know I had an important meeting in the morning. I couldn't miss it and take the earlier flight" he explained as she went on with her lecture.

"Mom! Do you want me miss this flight?" he asked finally annoyed a bit "I will call you once I reach the airport" he said as he cut the phone.

He took a deep breath, rubbing his eyes and running his hands through his hair. He shook his head and got on with his packing. Truth be told, he didn't really need to pack anything much. He knew he would have all the clothes ready for him at the house, covering each of the functions.

He regretted that day, some three months back, when he listened to Kavita and gave into her thought that they were ready for marriage. If he hadn't done that, he wouldn't find himself where he did today, in one royal unhealthy mess that he had no way of getting out off.

One hour later, he was out of the flat into the taxi on his way to Heathrow airport. 

If you do like this story or any of its chapters, please do remember to vote. Thanks.