Chapter 1

The boardroom of Maheshwari Industries was filled with its Board of Directors and its executive board along with the company secretary. They were all waiting for the head of the group, Durga Prasad Maheswari to grace the board meeting. Such was the power that Durga Prasad wielded in the market that the Board of Directors, who are usually placed above everyone else in a board meeting, were themselves patiently waiting for him to initiate the proceedings.

The doors to the boardroom opened and Durga Prasad walked in with his brother and sons. Durga Prasad was a stellar personality, not because of his height or physical strength, but because of the immense control that he had over each of his businesses and its proceedings. It was also because of the heights that he had taken the company to, from the humble beginnings that his father had started the company from and the state that the company was in when Durga Prasad took over.

He walked in with his usual style, nodding slightly at the board of directors, as he took his place at the head of the table. A position reserved for the Chairman and the Managing Director of the company. His brother, Ram Prasad, his pillar of support, sat next to him, in his usual place with the sons on the other side of the table. He gave a nod to the company secretary to begin the meeting.

The company secretary was about to speak when someone barged into the boardroom, followed by security team and Durga Prasad's assistant, who was by then apologizing profusely for not being able to stop the person from barging in. The man was a stranger. He was dressed in a formal suit and seemed to have some files in his hand. Two men from the security team had quickly grabbed him and he was struggling to get out of their grasp.

Durga Prasad raised his hand to quieten his assistant. "Who are you?" he asked the stranger in his resounding voice while waving the security team to let him go.

The man straightened his clothes and took out a visiting card, making his way to Durga Prasad. He handed Durga Prasad the card. It stated his name as Mr Hiren Mehra who was an advocate with Mehta, Mehra, Aggarwal & Co, a renowned law firm.

"I am Hiren Mehra, a lawyer" he added stating the obvious "I am here on behalf of my client"

"What is this about Mr Mehra?"

"My client had recently acquired a majority stake in Maheshwari Industries. I am here to ensure that the Board is made aware of this change in ownership ahead of their meeting. I am also here to ensure that the board meeting doesn't proceed without my client's presence"

"Mr Mehra, we don't have time for your utter nonsense. What you say is completely untrue and I will not let this meeting get derailed because of your notions" Durga Prasad bellowed causing many around the table to look at him apprehensively, including the poor Mr Mehra.

"I have proof of what I am stating" Mr Mehra stated almost meekly.

Durga Prasad ordered his company secretary, Mr Das, to come over and questioned him. Mr Das agreed that it was quite impossible for anyone to gain shares without them knowing about it. There had been a quick discussion with Mr Mehra who had then proceeded to show them the documents of ownership in favor of his client, which Mr Das couldn't not refute.

Durga Prasad asked for a few minutes from the board and proceeded to move to his office with his brother, sons and company secretary following him.

Durga Prasad was clearly agitated, "How could this have happened without us knowing about it, Mr Das?"

"Sir, forgive me. I, too, am unclear about how this could have happened, unless all this stake was purchased yesterday evening itself. But it would have been impossible to have acquired everything this late in time, and in this magnitude and that too without anyone of us getting a slightest hint of it"

"It clearly did happen, Mr Das. Find out how"

Mr Das rushed off, nodding to his boss, before he faced any further wrath.

"What are we going to do now Bhaisa?" his brother Ram asked

"Between us, we have 30% ownership. Of that much, I am sure. If we add the holdings of the rest of the board, leaving aside the 49% Mr Mehra claims his client has, we should have 46%. That will not be good enough to give us majority"

"Bhaisa, I have a suggestion. We could ask him to pledge his stake. Sujata got his number from his friend once" he said, adding quickly "She didn't contact him of course. But now, I could call Sans.." but he left the word unsaid as Durga Prasad's head snapped to look at him, anger clearly evident in his eyes.

"Have you forgotten that, I do not ask anyone for anything" Durga Prasad had responded sternly.

'No, you only command, Bhaisa' Ram Prasad thought, though never dared to verbalize.

"I need a few minutes alone" Durga Prasad had informed everyone.

He had returned back to the boardroom, after a while. His family in his tow. Durga Prasad assumed his throne. His demeanor now not providing any hint of what had transpired just some time ago.

"Mr Mehra, how your client could have accumulated such as stake without letting anyone, including us, find out about it, is a mystery that I am keen to solve and shall solve, for nothing remains hidden from my eyes for too long. But for now, I must make it clear to you, and also to the board, that between the board members and my family, we already hold 51% stake and as such, hold the controlling position in the company. I am sure your client will not find it useful to hold a minority stake that yields him little say in the matters of the running of this company. So I have a generous offer to make him. We are willing to acquire his stake, and free him of this liability"

"I am sorry, sir, but I cannot comment on the sale of the stake on behalf of my client. My instructions have been clear, to ensure that my client is present at the board meeting before it proceeds. If you wish, you can talk to him about the sale in person"

"So where is this client of yours? I do not see his name mentioned anywhere in the documents other than the name of the company, Vincere. What is his name?"

"He is on his way over here, sir. He should be here shortly. I can introduce you to him in person, once he arrives"

His car came to a halt outside the entrance of Maheshwari Industries office. He stepped out, buttoning his navy blue pin-stripe jacket, making his way into the building. His assistant was walking few steps ahead of him, clearing the path for his boss.

They exited out of the lift leading them to the boardroom. There was clearly a buzz around the floor at his entry as the people around had stopped their work and lined up to see him, in some parts because of the fiasco that he was sure his lawyer had caused in the office. His phone rang, it was his lawyer. He was sure Durga Prasad had intimidated him a bit, the reason for the call from his otherwise calm lawyer.

He picked it up, commenting even before Mr Mehta had a chance "I am sure they can wait a just bit longer, Mr Mehta" before he cut the call.

His assistant went ahead into the boardroom, while he was on the call, to ensure everything was just as he wanted it. He walked through the boardroom doors, that had been opened for him by the security team. He nodded at them before entering into the room.

Startled faces welcomed him as he entered, but he remained unaffected, his hands in his pocket, his gait fairly casual at the same time reflecting great degree of confidence. His eyes focused on Durga Prasad, who was equally startled as the others for a moment, but had masked his shock fairly quickly into a stoic mask, which made the man smirk. He nodded at some of the board members before sitting down on the chair, pulled by his assistant. It was one that was opposite the throne currently occupied by Durga Prasad.

On Durga Prasad side, his brother Ram, had stood up almost in a trance, calling out the man's name, breaking the silence that had spread across the room. The man gave a small smile to Ram, before Mr Mehta stepped in to introduce him, without realizing that it was quite unnecessary.

"Let me introduce you to my client" Mr Mehra said looking at Durga Prasad and the board members "This is Mr Sanskar Maheshwari, the Chairman and Managing Director of Vincere"

If you do like this story or any of its chapters, please do remember to vote. Thanks.