Shahkara dragged her bloodied hand from Jack's innards, rolled his body off hers, and struggled to her feet. 'You are more resourceful than you appear.'

 Pain gripped her as she retrieved her sword and, with one stroke, beheaded the Max's bodyguard. Bile tainted her mouth. Despite the horrors her people had faced, killing Taloners still cut her to the quick. Was it because they look human or because she shared their blood?

 Max dropped the frypan. 'He was probably dead already. You didn't need to decapitate him!'

 'There are only two ways to kill a Taloner — chop off its head or rip out its heart. You would rather I let him live?'

 'No, it's not that, it's just… He was so nice.'

 'Until he tried to kill you. He was waiting for the right moment to strike — like tonight when you dismissed the other man.' It was impossible to differentiate between human and Taloner unless their claws were exposed. Even the dead man's blood on her hands smelt human.

 'What are you? And what are those?' Max's hand shook as he pointed.

 Shahkara held her hands out, to show her talons, spurring his backward retreat. 'I will not hurt you.'

 'Because you're a girl?'

 'Because I am a half-blood. Half-human.'

 'Half-human? And half-?

 'Half-Taloner,' she said.

 'Taloner? I thought they were a Celtic myth.'

 'You have never been attacked by a coven?'

 Max waved at Jack's bloody body. 'Do you think I'd still be alive if I had?'

 'But Taloners exist in your world. Do they live here in secret?'

 'Well, obviously. Because until ten minutes ago I had no idea they were real. But you talk as if you're not…' he frowned. 'As if you're not from my world! That's why you've been acting all weird! Who are you really? Where are you from?'

 'It is safer not to say.'

 'Great! That excuse again! Good to know that this,' he waved at the corpse, 'was the safe alternative!'

 'I did not know the Taloners were targeting you. There must be a price on your head. You must disappear.'

 'That's ridiculous! It's my final month of school and I have exams. If I don't take them, I don't finish senior.'

 'You would prefer to be an educated dead man?'

 'Dad will be furious.'

 'Your father cannot help you.'

 'He can hire me twelve bodyguards and a bulletproof car!'

 'One of your bodyguards was a Taloner, Max.'

 His eyes widened. 'A Taloner must've killed Ethan! His heart was ripped out! But no, there's serial killer out there. Ethan was a victim of the Rip'n'Stitch! Four others have been found with missing hearts just like him.'

 He paled and suspicion flickered in his eyes. 'Were they all Taloner victims? Why am I a target? If you're a Taloner, how can I trust you?' Max must have realised he was babbling as he stopped, and just stared at her.

 'I saved your life.'

 'Yes, but you still have those… those talons.'

 'They are the price I pay for this blood, which also gives me enhanced strength and sensory perception.'