A Journey Home

After spending a long day in New York, I began to travel home.
The night was still young and the sky was not entirely consumed by darkness.
I realized that it was dimly lit by the pinkish white glow of light pollution.
I would gaze into the sky, for the shade was relief for my sore eyes that were constantly bombarded with lights that covered the highway.

I looked at the opposite side to see cars traveling north.
It wasn't until I was on higher ground that I saw a sea of white and yellow twinkling lights that eventually blurred.
As I slowly descended, I noticed a pair of red and blue flashing lights.
Nearing the two police cars that were on the other side of the highway, I saw a bright orange blob that seemed to flicker.

I turned my head to look at the scene.
Although I only witnessed very little, I saw too much.
In small grassy ditch between the busy highway and a railing, was an overturned vehicle.

The small car was completely engulfed in an immense flame.
The raging fire did not phase my weary eyes, yet through the partially cracked window of my own car crept the intense heat radiating from the accident that crashed against my face.
The intoxicating fumes swarmed my nose and lingered in the car even after I had passed the wreck.
Even though I could still feel the heat on my face, an icy chill ran down my spine and shocked my body.

I felt lucky, since I was on the side traveling south.
I also realized that I was only but a mere few yards away from the treacherous accident.
A feeling of fear, wonder, and astonishment flooded the depths of my soul and the thought haunted my brain until I returned home.