Eighteen

(Nyx's P.O.V)

It just happened. I'm not really sure how or why but it just came out. Who knew that the motivation I needed to speak was being terrified. Not that it was well pronounced, but I actually spoke for the first time ever, and Aspen had been too far behind to hear me.
She was always trying to make me do it, and I was never sure why I couldn't, yet here I was. I can remember my dad telling me off for moaning, and according to my sister that was the reason that I just stopped verbally communicating.
I was aware as I ran that I was running away from the only person that has ever kept me safe, and I wanted to go back and get her but if I did they might make me stay.
It wasn't like I really thought through what I was doing when I ran off, I just needed to get away, and I don't even know why. I never knew how anything really was supposed to be, because, according to the books I read, my life was quite the opposite of how it is meant to be. Or at least, how every other girl my age's life is. One could say it's unique, but in fact it is just unfortunate.
Now it was late enough that my footsteps on the drenched pavements were the only sounds, my skin stocky with the humid air from the recent downfall. I focused on the sound, scared that if I thought about that could be lurking about me, I would run back.
Who knew what murderous psychos could be wandering about so late, ecstatic that such a weak target as a lone, distressed little girl was in their wake.
Aspen would find hidden places, or at least sheltered, in no dodgey neighbourhoods and she would make sure I was safe. Now I was leaving her, going down the roads she would never guess I would go. Streetlights flickered and cars became less common parked at the sides of the road.
I heard somebody behind me, and, worried it was Link darted right to avoid him. I wasn't sure even why but I knew it was what I had to do. Another pair of footsteps rang out.
I headed down an alleyway and ducked behind some trash, keeping my head low so I couldn't be spotted.
"NYX!" I heard my name and I tensed ado spotted figures moving past the alleyway.
Link.
Aspen.
I guess Christy stayed back with the kids.
A hand wrapped itself around my throat and jerked me back as soon as the figures vanished past the alley. It gripped my throat right so that I couldn't make a sound and dragged me back into the darkness.
The hand was cold and strong, and I was pulled against a person as they carried me backwards. A bag was pulled over my head and tied tight on my neck, arms held into the attacker's chest and I tried to scream for help but it was no use. I couldn't make any noise now.
I felt myself getting thrown into a vehicle with extreme force, my back and head clashing with metal. A lightning strike of pain shot through my brain and down my spine, sending explosions of lights in my eyes and tears spring in my eyes.
"Hey!" I heard a muffled voice, a breeze still on my front. I must be in a van, the doors still open.
I recognised the voice that urgently shouted as hurried running footsteps got closer. The person before me kicked me in the stomach and swore under their breath. A man.
"LEEENK!" I managed before I heard the doors slam and the engine roar.
I was thrown about as I was driven away.