Prologue

Darkness. Everything absorbed by this eternal black. I felt myself drifting away, slowly. I heard nothing, I saw nothing, I felt... nothing. I Tried to think of what happened, but the thoughts vanished as soon as they had come. I started to forget everything yet the emotions that accompanied those memories stayed. Pain, anger, regret... Those were the last things I could remember, before falling into this slumber of darkness. Yet I didn't care. I felt as if I had given up, that there was no point in struggling anymore. They say that in the darkest of moments, light shines the brightest. But what does that even mean?

Then one thought passed by, a name. It was gone before I realized it but I knew that it was of great importance to me. It made me feel something, regret most of all.
I feel as if I have lost something very important, but what?

One by one my thoughts disappeared and in the end only one thought remained. I refused to let it go. It was a promise I made. And I was determined to keep it.

In the distance I saw a light. A feeling of hope started burning inside of me as I started walking towards it. I reached out towards the light. Everything turned white as the darkness was repelled...

Wake up. Come, find me...

I opened my eyes. I couldn't see anything for it was too dark. I was lying on the ground, somewhere.
I tried standing up which turned out to be harder than I thought. My entire body hurt.
What... Where am I? Am I...? No, it can't be.
Thoughts came flooding into my head which caused a burst of pain. I fell to my knees. Then, nothing. I felt empty.

"It's a promise..." 

I remembered those words. They gave me strength. I had to keep that promise no matter what. But what did I promise? A feeling of powerlessness overtook me. But now was not the time to give up. I need to figure out where I am.

I slowly walked whilst feeling the wall next to me. In the distance I saw a light. I ran towards it as fast as my body allowed me to. When I got close I realized it was a torch hanging on the wall. I took the torch and ventured further into the hallway. Now I could at least see my surroundings. It appeared that I was in some kind of labyrinth or dungeon. What is this place? Why am I here?

A sound coming from somewhere inside the dungeon startled me. It was hard to determine where the sound had come from. Whatever it was, it sure as hell wasn't human. I continued with caution.

It seemed as if I had been walking for hours yet no sign of an exit. Hall upon hall with the occasional crossroads. This place had more of a maze than an actual structure. Whoever built this did it for a reason.

That same sound again, this time closer. It sounded like a roar. I started running. Could there be a monster in this place. If so, I got to find this exit quick.

I entered a small room with at the end a big door. it was inlaid with different kind of gems in a variety of colours. The door was slightly ajar. I was about to open it when I saw something in the corner of my eye. I looked behind me and saw a shadow move by. It was like the shadows in this place had a will of their own. The shadow stopped in the opening leading to the hall, blocking my path. It rose up from the ground revealing a dark creature with sharp claws and no face. It came closer to me twitching heavily. I tried to open the door behind me but it was stuck. There was no escape. Could this really be the end? Dying in a place like this, not knowing the truth?
I rose up my arms to protect me as the shadow leaped at me.

A bright light blinded me. When I opened my eyes the shadow was gone, instead another creature was standing in front of me. It looked like a cat, dog? Its height was around my waist. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. It stared at me with its purple eyes like it was expecting me to do something. I raised my hand and padded its head. For a moment our thoughts were one. It took me by surprise and frightened me. I fell backwards.
Then out of nowhere a male voice resonated in my head, "Greetings, my name is Zyra."
I was dumbfounded. This creature appears out of nowhere and then just starts talking to me. This situation couldn't get any weirder.
"Wait, you can talk?" I asked. I stood up.
"Why yes, what do you think I am, stupid?" it replied.
I rubbed my forehead. I had to think this through.
"I'm sorry. I just woke up in this mess having no idea where I am or why, then you just show up and start talking to me as if it's the most normal thing in the world. Sorry for my unconsidered response, I've just not had any experiences with easily offended talking animals."
Zyra tilted his head. "Are you done with the sarcasm?"
"Is it that obvious? I'm just not in the mood for jokes right now, sorry." I said.

Zyra turned around and started walking back the way I had come from.
"We should go, it's not safe in here." He said.
I jumped up, "Wh... Wait, where are we and what was that thing? What... are you?"
He abruptly stopped and turned his head, "WHAT AM I? Why you insolent... Grr, we don't have time for this. I'll answer your questions once we're out of here."
A dark mist started pouring from the slightly opened door.
"We got to  go now!" He said more panicked.

We were walking with a steady pace. Zyra was leading me through the halls, apparently he knew his way around here. What is he doing here? Does he live here?
We were walking for some time now and I couldn't take it anymore.
"What was that... that mist?" I asked eventually.
"An evil the likes of which you've never seen. That's why we have to leave this place asap."
"And this place? What is it's purpose?" I continued.
He got annoyed, "It was build to seal away said evil, but now the seal has broken."
Despite his annoyance I kept asking, "And so what are you, the guardian of this place?"
He sighed, "In some way I guess you could say that, yes." 

We kept walking for what felt like an eternity. The darkness ever so pressing. The air like a foul suffocating poison. My body was completely numb, even the pain was gone. In front of me Zyra kept walking, unfazed by it all. 
"Zyra?" 
He stopped.
"What is it now? Can't you see I'm trying to get us out of here!" He sounded very frustrated, but even more so anxious. "What's so important that it can't wait?"
"I...I'm sorry. I just wanted to thank you, for saving me earlier." 
"Saving you?" He said confused.
"Yea, from that shadow creature back at the door." I said less confidently.
His expression changed, "I don't recall seeing any penumbra before finding you."
I tilted my head, "penumbra...?"
My question remained unanswered as a cold wind blew from behind me. Zyra's eyes widened.
I turned around. "what..."
He cut me off, "Quiet."
It was quiet for a few moments, Zyra was muttering something to himself.
Then he yelled, "Run!"
wait wha...
"Run, NOW!"

I peered into the dark hallway and saw a storm of shadows coming our way. When I turned back Zyra had already gone up ahead. I tried to catch up with him. "Thanks for waiting." I said.
He didn't reply. The shadows got closer and closer as the halls got more and more narrow. We were making turns left and right, passed room after room. Danger getting closer by the second. Finally I saw a light in the distance. As we drew near I could smell fresh air. I threw my torch behind me hoping to slow down the nearing darkness. I gave it my all.

...

I was blinded by a bright light, the sun. Wind blew in my face. I looked back. The shadows had stopped by the entrance and burned when touched with sunlight.
I sighed, "We're safe, at last."
Then I turned to Zyra. "Now, the answers..."