Chapter 4

Took her bowling in the arcade
We went strolling, drank lemonade
We made out under the dock
We stayed out till ten o' clock
Summer fling, Don't mean a thing
But, uh oh, those summer nights   

"Now this— this is the best place in Venice!"
Sandy has been taken (or dragged by her arm) to, one of Danny Zuko's favorite places, the 'Bowl-A-Rama'.

It was a white, large, and gaudy bowling arena/arcade that smelled of waxed floors

"It's...", Sandy examined the place, "...interesting". To that, Danny just made a face.
"C'mon! Let's go inside"
The place was crowded, full of rowdy teenagers and Rydell's rising seniors. A little kid was having a birthday party in one of the corners.
The two made their way over to the counter. "Le'mme get a pair of size elevens," Danny requested to the worker.
Sandy smirked, "Oh, size elevens?"
"You know what they say about guys with big shoes", Danny winked and Sandy laughed out loud.
    Sandy and Danny found themselves an open lane with the entrance sheets. The sheet was written on by Danny,
"Don't look" he said, covering his scribblings with his left hand. "Ok.....here"
Sandy sarcastically whined, "What'd you do now?"
    He had written their names down as "Dan the Man" and "Sandizzle".
Danny explained, "At the Bowl-A-Rama y'know, you have'ta be creative. Gotta be larger than life"
"Alright, 'Dan the Man'", Sandy mocked.

    Around two hours later, our favorite team decided to leave. They won nothing, and they're sore losers.
"Man," Sandy started, "I can't believe we lost to a couple of third graders!"
Danny replied, "I know! W-why was he so strong? I knew we shoulda put the gutter blockers up". He snapped his fingers.
"I mean, I'm so used to playing with blockers. I didn't know it would fall into the gutter so much"
"So much for Sandizzle" Sandy sighed, "I'm kind of parched"
"There are a couple of vending machines near the exit", Danny directed, "Here I'll give you some change".
Sandy gleefully took Danny's money and skipped over the the vending machine. She came back with two lemonades. "I didn't really know what to get you"
    Finally, the duo left the alley. It was dark out, already. The original plan was to walk back to Danny's car, but the boardwalk looked more fun. Sandy gazed around, taking tiny sips for her lemonade pouch, her free left hand swinging. Danny got friendly, and reached out to take it, their fingers intertwined with one another. Pausing her sips, Sandy looked up at him— and blushed bright pink. She giggled and looked away, and Danny just smiled.
    They made their way back to the beach where they met. It was chillier, and the moon reflected off of the horizon, illuminating the whole beach. Danny leaned and whispered to her by her ear.
"Meet me back here tomorrow"

It turned colder, that's where it ends
So I told her we'd still be friends
Then we made our true love vow
Wonder what she's doing now
Summer dreams, ripped at the seams
But, uh oh, those summer nights

    There they were, the next day, down at the beach. They had been swimming (well, Danny was) and having fun. Time seemed to slip away in each other's company.
    When they were all dry, and the coverups put back on, the reality of Sandy's situation began to set in.
    Danny, mood softened, went over to hug her.
"Baby" he said, "I'm gonna miss you real bad. Y'know that?"
She hugged him back. "Me too" she said, tears welling up in her eyes, "..me too".
Sandy sighed, taking a step back to look at him.
"I'm going back to Australia. I might never see you again"
"Don't..." said Danny, shaking his head, "...Don't talk that way, Sandy"
She cried, "But it's true. I've just had the best summer of my life and now I have to go away"
    The words seemed to repeat over and over again in Danny's head.
Best summer of my life.
    He did not realize he had such an impact on her.
Looking down, Sandy continued in that adorable accent, "It isn't fair"
    He lifted her chin, looked deeply into her eyes, and kissed her. Danny's feeling for her grew immense, and he felt he had to do something. Anything!
He started to kiss more forcefully, and unbeknownst to him, making Sandy uncomfortable.
She pushed away. Danny didn't understand.
"Danny don't spoil it!"
"It's not spoiling it, Sandy: It's only making it better"
Sandy looked at him, reminiscing about all of the wonderful times they had together.
"Danny, is this the end?"
He replied, smiling, "Of course not..."
"...It's only the beginning"