Chapter 2

It was about two in the afternoon when Sandy returned from the beach, her mind still perplexed by the last events. Sure, she had seen people drown, but only on television or in movies. She never thought that it would actually happen to her. How was she going to get out of this one?
Sandy made her way up the stoup to the house, and tried to unlock the front door.
"Crikey! I forgot the key" she groaned, and knocked on the door.
"Who is it?", she heard her father yell through the door.
"It's me, Sandy. You know? Your daughter"
Richard unlocked and opened the front door. "Forgot your key again, I see"
"It was an accident", Sandy stood on the welcome mat, with her legs and hair still dripping a bit.
"Sandy, you're all wet! Have you been in the water?" her father interrogated.
"Only a little bu–"
"Sandra, you know you can't swim!". There they go with that 'Sandra', again.
"Dad it was only a little" Sandy stressed, and she thought to avoid the topic altogether  "I'm okay, really. It's not like I-I almost drowned or anything. Ha ha". One thing about Sandy is that she is a terrible liar, with the most obvious tell tale signs. Her father, though, payed her no mind, and let her on her way.
Sandy then headed upstairs to her room to finally wind down. She had it all planned out, too; She was going to shower, dress in more comfortable clothes, read a little more of her book, and then take a nap. On her way to the bathroom, her feet left wet indentations in the carpet. She hated the way the salt dried and semi-curdled on her skin. She turned the faucet, and waited for the water to heat up. From what her reflection in the mirror could tell, she had gotten a slight tan. And her shoulders were also slightly pink and sore. Once the water temperature was to Sandy's satisfaction, she stepped in. It was amazing to feel actually 'clean', again. Okay, now it was really starting to burn.
After her shower, she made sure to dry and throw on pajamas. Sandy knew it was too early for pajamas, but she figured she wasn't going to leave the house again. She wore something real easy; A light, puffy, night gown with colorful ornament patterns.
Now it was time to settle; She crawled into her bed, and patted at her nightstand where her book would be. Oh, no. She opened the drawers, it wasn't there. The chest; wasn't there. The bathroom; wasn't there. There was only one possible place left.
"I must have left it at the beach"
Sandy mentally slapped herself. How could she have left it at the beach? It was only but so small, and she left it on her towel–Didn't she?
She was already under her blanket, being lulled to sleep by the plush comforters and pillows. Her nightly routine was inadvertently followed, and her brain recognized the patterns. "Tomorrow" she thought, "I'll just pick it up tomorrow. Besides, who would want to nab a book?". Her dad was always telling her about how simple Americans were.
In her sleep, she tossed and turned; jolting awake in spurts. She saw her repeated event as if it was on a movie screen. She saw the boy, too. Her mind amplified his large, blue eyes and shiny hair. Denny Zzzzzzzz– She couldn't remember.
The next morning, Sandy wanted to wake up extra early; If you could call twelve noon 'early'. Her head was already spinning from sitting up too quickly.
"There you are! We thought you'd never wake up", her mother commented as Sandy lead over the upstairs railing. "Come and get your breakfast, sweetheart"
Sandy turned back to her room, and changed into a white romper and matching sandals.
She caught a wind, and half-jogged downstairs to the kitchen.
"What are you all dressed up for? It's only breakfast" her mother questioned, again.
Sandy replied, "Oh, I left my book at the beach when I went the other day. I was planning on going back to hopefully get it"
"Now, Sandy, how did you leave your book at the beach?"
"I guess my sight must've lost it", still trying to avoid the topic of her almost drowning. It's hard to remember to pick up all of your belongings when you're focusing on not dying.
Sandy went on, "I'm going to at least try and find it, still"
"Alright" said her mother, "But be back soon"
Sandy grabbed a banana from the fruit bowl, and soon left. She arrived at the beach a few short moments later.
"Now", she thought to herself, "Where could it have possibly gone?"
She went in circles trying to remember her spot from the other day; staying far from the water, this time. It had been about forty-five  minutes, and felt as if she had looked literally everywhere. Discouraged, she finally decided to give up on searching.
A vacant lawn chair caught her sight. She put on her sunglasses, and lied down.

"Hey", she heard someone call. She was alerted, but figured it was not for her.
"Hey", she heard again. And it sounded...awfully...familiar.
Sandy pulled off her shades, and tried to identity the figure speaking to her. That was difficult, because the bright rays of the sun practically blinded her. Her eyes squinted, and her hand making a makeshift visor.
"I'm sorry. Who is this?" trying her best to make out this person.
"You don't remem'er me?"
Sandy had finally recognized the figure.
"Oh Hi! Ddddddd–"
"Danny"
"Danny!", Sandy was about eighty percent sure his name was 'Denny'. She guessed she'd remembered wrong.
Danny laughed, "Gee, I save your life and you don' even remem'mer my name".
Of course, he was joking. His open charisma put Sandy's nerves at ease and comfort. He was all bright and smiley, and seemed very pleased to see her, too.
"How ya' been? Breathin' easy?" Danny chuckled at his own awful joke.
"I've been just fine, thanks. You still out saving lives?"
"You know it"
Both felt a tingle in their chests; And knew they were going to be seeing a lot of each other.
They were counting on it.