Chapter 8: Ben

A/N: Remember to vote and comment!

Do you think their plan will work?

Comment your reply!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I pace back and forth in my newly acquired bedroom, praying that Poe and Finn followed my instructions. I had ordered them to somehow hint to Rey that I'd be on the next few missions. If she knew that I was there, she would be more likely to sign up. Then, she could see that I truly have changed.

Knock, knock, knock.

I hear the pair outside my door. Rushing, I proceed to open and it to allow them inside.

"Well?" I question.

Poe gives a thumbs-up, "All went according to plan."

Finn rolls his eyes, "Too bad nobody told me the part about us telling her about everything. I just about blew it."

"Yeah," Poe chuckles, "I saved your ass back there."

I open my mouth to speak, ready to silence them. But then I remember: I have to keep these two on my good side. They're Rey's two closest friends. At one point, Finn was even infatuated with her. Poe never knew, of course. At least, not as far as I could tell. Finn and Rey have a complex friendship, that's for sure. But Poe probably didn't think anything of it. He's too in love with Finn. And lucky for Finn, he loves Poe more than Rey. If he ever made a move with Rey, well, there's no telling what I'd do to him.

Quit thinking like that, I think to myself, Remember, you're reformed. Keep it up, and Rey will notice. Then you will certainly lose her.

Poe clears his throat, snapping me out of my daze, "So, Ben, there's a mission coming up that we could use you for. Since Starkilker Base was destroyed, the First Order has been forming a new base."

Then I remember: Starkiller Base was destroyed shortly after Rey and I left the planet. I had forgotten about it entirely; I've been too preoccupied with my own issues. By now, the entire First Order may be dead.

"Where?!" I demand. "Where is the new base?!"

"Jakku," he replies simply.

"We always end up there, don't we?" Finn mutters.

I raise a finger, silencing him as I turn back to Poe, "What do we have to do?"

Poe shrugs, "Simple: destroy them. Their numbers are low. All it'll take it a small army. You wanna be a part of it?"

Could I do it? Would I be able to betray Hux and Phasma -- who likely survived the demolition of Starkiller Base -- and possibly murder them in cold-blood? I've killed others, sure. Including my own father. But the difference is, Hux and Phasma never tried to change who I am. Han did. I was never good enough for him. If it came down to it, I don't know if I could kill them.

But, it's the only way.

"I'll do it," I respond. "Sign me up."

Finn nods, "Great, well, you'll obviously need a cover. They won't let you in if you call yourself Kylo Ren."

"What about Ben Solo?"

"Too risky," Poe replies. "See, most of them know that Ben Solo is Kylo Ren, General Organa's kid. You can't use 'Solo'."

"Well, what can I use?" I ask impatiently, visibly exasperated.

"You could always use my name: Poe Dameron. I'll sign up for the mission, but you'll go instead. It'll erase any possible suspicion of a newcomer."

"No," Finn says immediately. "Poe,  you've been itching to go on this one. You can't just give it up."

"And he won't," I interject.

I explain to them my idea: posing as Poe's 'brother'. That way, I wouldn't have to risk getting caught as Poe, and I wouldn't have to be investigated as an entirely unfamiliar member. Ben Dameron: brother of the star Resistance pilot. Poe has connections within the Resistance; they just couldn't deny his brother one measly mission.

Poe scoffs, "As if! You're too white to be my brother."

"Do you have a better idea?" I inquire.

He sighs, "Nope. Fine, then. Ben Dameron: my irrationally pale brother."

"Great. When is the mission?"

"Tomorrow morning," Finn announces, patting my back as he walks out the door with Poe. "Good luck, man. See you there!"