“Alright, alright, I’m up,” Louis said, rolling onto his stomach. “And I’m starving.”

“What kind of friend would I be if I didn’t wake you up without something to eat?” Harry rolled his eyes in an exaggerated way. “I thought you knew how this relationship worked.”

“You cook and clean and do all the chores and take care of me and I complain,” Louis said pointedly, picking up a jumper off the floor and slipping it over his head. “I don’t get why you even stay here, to be honest.”

“Not true,” Harry countered quickly. “I like being around you, Louis. I thought we’ve discussed this.”

“Still never understood it,” Louis muttered under his breath. Harry ignored this, and Louis didn’t blame him.

“And maybe I like cooking and cleaning for you,” Harry shrugged. “Mum always told me I was the domestic type.”

“You are so feminine, I swear,” Louis snorted. “No one would believe me just by looking at you. If I didn’t know you so well, I would’ve never guessed either.”

“I’m a bit misleading, I guess,” Harry laughed bitterly. “People make assumptions about me a lot and I hate it, to be honest. That was my downfall.”

“I didn’t mean—“ Louis stuttered, turning red. The resentment in Harry’s voice took him aback. “Harry—it wasn’t supposed—“

“Shh,” Harry said, putting a finger to Louis’ lips. “It’s okay.”

Harry’s face had drained of colour and his eyes had lost that sparkle for a moment. He shook his damp hair out and sighed deeply, like he was resigned to reassure Louis he was fine.

The moments stretched on, and Louis knew that it wasn’t okay. Harry—despite how strong he was for Louis—had his own insecurities. And Louis couldn’t just let it go.

“Well, whatever those people thought doesn’t matter,” Louis said hesitantly. “I think you’re the best kind of person. And not just because you’re annoyingly good-looking, or not because you can make the best eggs I’ve ever tasted. You’re amazing because you’re you, Harry. I just feel bad for the people who couldn’t see that five months ago.”

Harry looked up at Louis curiously. He looked taken aback and slightly flattered.

“Louis,” he said slowly. “That really does mean a lot. But it doesn’t change what happened.”

“I’m not trying to change anything,” Louis said offhandedly. “I’m just telling you what I know and what I see now. I’m telling you that I’m not going to hurt you like those people did.”

Harry closed his eyes briefly and opened them to meet the stormy-grey irises that were staring intensely at him. The strength of the emotion between them was palpable.

“I suppose that’s why we’re so good for each other,” Harry said quietly. “Ed told me that we play off each other well. We talked a lot about it this morning.”