Chapter 3

Two weeks later I was released into therapy. It was probably the worst week of my life. It was effective, though. You wouldn't want to end up there ever again. I know I won't try suicide ever again if it meant I had to go through that again. They brought me back to my days in preschool. We all sat in a circle and shared our feelings. The first day, I rolled in in a wheelchair and sighed. We all gathered around and said our names, our age, and one important fact about ourselfs. When it was my turn I said that my name was Fae, I am 11, and I have diabetes. Everyone gave me this look. Most of them were old. Some in middle ages. It wasn't until then they realized a child was among them. Then they did their old folk thing where they get all up in your business and asked why a youngin like me ended up in here and how I got diabetes so young and how they didn't get it till last year. I ducked and mumbled, "It's type one." Then a golden aged man jumped up and yelled, "Why are you eleven and committing suicide already. I didn't first do it 'till I found out my girlfriend was pregnant at age seventeen!" Finally the councilor interrupted all of them. After it was quiet, she moved on.

The next question was why we committed suicide and how. All the others pretended to listen to the others but they were really focusing on me with anticipation. Just waiting to see why and how I had done it. When it got to me, everyone leaned in, eyes fixed on me, just waiting for all their questions to be answered. I ducked and said, "Well, I was about to get adopted, but when I got diabetes they didn't want me anymore. About a month later, I used my insulin pump to inject way too much insulin into me so I passed out and died. A new roommate walked in after I passed out and pulled my site so the insulin would stop. Then she called 911. Most of my cells died so I can't move very well until they come back." The councilor smiled, "interesting. I had a girl about your age come through here maybe two months ago who had done pretty much the same thing. Her name might have been Millie. Oh! Wait. I'm pretty sure it was Camille. Anyway, Mabel, you're next." They all looked at me like I was crazy, even Mabel as she was pretending to speak with full engagement. Yup, I was never coming back. It basically went on like this for the rest of the week. When I finally got out, I had forgotten what the sun looked like and what fresh air was. All I can say is that none of them had any sort of a nose to smell how much perfume they caked on themselves. I raced out and quickly rolled into a cab. I went straight home as fast as I possibly could. I yelled at the cab driver like nobody's business. I couldn't believe I was finally home... ish.

When I got out of the cab, Camille was outside on a porch waiting for me. I thanked the cab driver as Ms.Hetridge burst out of the front door to pay the cab. I left them alone to do their thing and approached Camille. "Did you have fun Fae?!" She called out to me from her perch on the porch. "What do you think?" I said sarcastically as I rolled my eyes and smirked. I could tell we were bonding already. Maybe things might be looking up in the future for me. I really liked Camille and so far, I think she likes me? I mean it's not often you see another type one diabetic but a type one diabetic orphan who's diabetes caused her to commit suicide with her insulin pump and who live in Charleston! Not to mention were the same age and gender! We might as well be twins! I think God has a plan and I might have an idea of what it is. Life is getting better. Pretty soon it might be bearable for me! Who knows?!