Part One

Nicki walked to the door with caution when she heard the doorbell ring. Who the hell could that be? She asked herself. People never came to the house unless her step- father was home. Nicki walked to the door and looked through only to see a young man standing on the other side. She pulled the door open slowly and he looked down at her.

"Hi," he said with a smile.

"Hello, how can I help you?" Nicki asked, the door only open a crack and she hid behind it. She wasn't to be seen, she didn't want to be seen.

"I'm Drake Graham was called here by a James Franklin, is he here?" he asked Nicki shuttered at the sound of her step-father's name.

"No he isn't, sorry" Nicki said ready to shut the door but Drake spoke up.

"He told me to be here at this time, he hired me to be a handy man. Do mind if I wait inside," he asked and Nicki knew that if James were to return and Drake wasn't there she'd be sorry. Nicki fixed the sleeves of her cardigan and opened the door wider. She lead him into the living room.

"Please sit," Nicki said showing him to the couch.

"Thank you," Drake replied and sat down placing his book bag on the ground. Nicki eyed the bag as she sat on the other side of the couch pulling her knees to her chest.

"What's in there?" Nicki asked and Drake picked up the bag.

"Just some books, I decided that I'd get some extra studying in before I got here." Drake explained.

"M-may I see them?" Nicki asked cautiously and Drake nodded with a smile before he handed the bag to her. Nicki looked through each book with great interest. She wasn't aloud to use the computer and there was no television in the house so she spent her days reading and obeying her step-father's every command.

"Uh, if you don't mind my asking, how old are you" Drake asked eyeing the beautiful young girl. She had long thick ebony hair, soft light brown skin, and the best body he'd ever seen.

"I'm seventeen, how old are you?" she asked back. Nicki wasn't use to having to converse with another person. She was always by herself, she liked it that way.

"I just turned nineteen," he answered and looked at the clock, 12:15 pm. "Shouldn't you be in school?" Drake asked and Nicki closed the book on ancient literature.

"When I was a sophomore I dropped out and managed to get the G.E.D," Nicki said and placed the book back in Drake's bag just as she heard the door open and James call out.

"Onika!" he called and she stood immediately.

"I'm in the living room with Drake," she said and thanked the lord that Drake was there or else Nicki would have gotten punished for leaving her room.

James entered the living room with a smile. Nicki hated that smile, she hated the man all together but she was stuck with him. James dismissed Nicki to her room and talked to Drake about the odd jobs that needed to be done around the house.

Drake then returned day after day tending to things that needed to be fixed around the household. As he fixed things he and Nicki would spend a lot of time together time together. He'd tell her of news in the outside world, bring her books to read, answer her many questions of things outside her house. After some time he was able to make her laugh and saw her beautiful smile.

As usual he'd come at around 12 and Nicki would be waiting for him. She would jump to answer the door and he'd greet her with a nice hug. Nicki loved the feeling of his arms around her, the smell of his body. When Drake's held her, she felt like nothing and no one could ever hurt her again.