t w e l v e - 12.00

Start from the beginning

 “That’s the tree of life,” Lenny’s art teacher had said. I hadn’t realised he was standing right next to me.

 “Oh.”

 He pointed to something above the tree. “See those snakes over there?”

 I looked in the direction he was pointed – two snakes were rising out of the tree, coiled in a double helix.

 “Yeah,” I said.

 “That represents the human mind. The left snake is the left side of your brain, and the right snake the right side. Both together in harmony create the human. It’s a symbol of duality.”

 I stared at the carving.

 “There’s an empty space in the middle.”

 He was looking at it too.

 “That space is for your soul.”

 And I had said, “But it’s empty.”

 And he had smiled and said, “It’s supposed to be.”

  Then Lenny was calling me from somewhere else and I went to him just to get him to stop yelling in a sacred place. When I turned back his art teacher was still looking at the carving.

 I’m thinking about it now and I don’t know why. I keep remembering his voice and the way he said it’s supposed to be, and I wonder if he would have maybe told me more if stupid Lenny hadn’t called me away. I remember those snakes, coiled perfectly, tongues out of their mouths, and the smooth, empty space between their bodies, and I touch my stomach, trying to feel that empty space, but it’s not there, all I feel is a solid wall of flesh and under that flesh my blood and bones and my organs and veins and capillaries and nerves and dendrites and synapses and I wonder where all that emptiness goes. I wonder if it even exists.

 “Evianna?”

 There’s a voice. I turn around and I see Dexter standing in the doorway of the balcony, blinking through the smoke that’s clouding his vision but he doesn’t know it. For a moment I don’t know what to say, should I say yes? or hello or Dexter?

 “Yeah?”

 He takes a step forward into the balcony. His hand waves in front of his face.

 “You’re…you’re smoking.”

 I look down at the cigarette in my hand.

 “Guess I am.”

 I wonder what he’s going to do. He sits down on the chair next to mine, props his feet up on the railing. I just watch, a bit of ash from my cigarette falling onto my thigh. I brush it off.

 He doesn’t say anything.

 “Did I wake you up?” I ask.

 “No,” he says. “I can’t sleep through the night.”

 “Oh.” I pause. “Neither can I.”

 He turns his head slightly in my direction.

 “What happened to you?”

 I discard my cigarette. It doesn’t really interest me now.

 “What do you mean?”

 “You were crying,” he says. “And my sister was – I don’t know, I don’t know what she was doing, but she was helping you. I’ve never heard anyone cry like that before.”

 I look away from him, cross my ankles.

 “I don’t know what happened.”

  I look back at him and he’s nodding like he understands. Then he leans his head back, closes his eyes.

 “Your beard is growing back out,” I tell him.

 “I know. Lola will make me shave it again next week when she comes over.”

 “Why?”

 He shrugs. “She thinks I can’t take care of myself.”

  There’s silence for a second.

 “I like how you talk,” I tell him.

 “What do you mean?”

 “As if you’ve known me for a long time.”

 More silence.

 “I didn’t know I talk like that.”

 “You do.”

 He makes a noise sort of like a chuckle.

 “Good to know.”

 I like that noise. I think I like him too. I like the way he can’t see me the most. I feel safe like this, safer, safest. It reminds me of some weird experiment I read about long ago – something about a cat and a box, but I can’t remember it because I can’t remember anything right now. But I just feel safe when he can’t see me. He can talk to me and he can hear me. Maybe he likes me too. I don’t know.

 We don’t talk much. I get more cigarettes and he has a few. After a while he says that he’s tired, I say that I am too. He offers to sleep on the couch but I say no. We both end up on opposite ends of his bed, in his bedroom. He sleeps with his back to me and I sleep with my back to the floor. I fall asleep staring at the shape his shoulders make, like a bold rock edifice against the setting sun in a desert sky.

*