Chapter 4

The world swirled before her, shadows flickering before her eyes. The faintest hint of colors dissipated just when she thought she could nearly perceive the image. Her head ached and her body burned with agony. But as for why, she hadn’t the faintest idea.

All that remained clear was the dark voice that beckoned her. Dark? She puzzled over such thought. Perhaps the deep voice should be described more as alluring. But dark seemed to resonate, as apparently only a color could now distinguish the velvet voice.

“What is your name?” the voice inquired.

The simplest of questions sent her mind spinning. Who was she? She knew she must surely know but somehow her very identity seemed lost.

She could remember nothing, see nothing, and feel nothing. All that was ever constant was the dark voice within her subconscious and her idle thoughts.

The ever-distant images frustrated her endlessly. She reached towards them, attempting to grasp the images. They were like smoke, disappearing as quickly as they appeared. Oh, and not to mention the fact that her body was entire deadbeat. Literally, she could not move a finger. She knew this fact should bother her more than it did, but somehow there was a sense of freedom- as if she was only connected by a thread.

“Who are you?” the voice asked.

“I…I don’t know,” she wanted to respond. But, before she could, a flash of light beamed before her eyes.

A young girl tugged at her hand. Small fingers attempted to wrap about her own, but could not. Instead they intertwined about her pinky. Somewhere deep within, she knew that this was a habit of the young girl’s.

“Be patient Emilie,” she heard her own voice though her lips remained sealed. “Please, for just a second,” her voice was sharper. Instinctively, the young girl released her hand, flinching at the unexpected sharpness of her elder sister.

“Look,” she began softly, “I’m sorry Emilie. I know how hard this is for you, but you must realize it’s hard for me too. But we’ll get through, just as we always have.”

She attempted to wrap her arms about her younger sister, but she shrugged herself free. Emilie wouldn’t listen. She walked closer to the curb, where she waited, now patiently for her sister. Her back remained turned to her. She knew that where the young girl to turn around, those baby blue eyes would be glistening with tears.

Suddenly, Estelle knew what would happen. She saw the car lurch into the intersection, the driver oblivious to the red light. Two cars collided and one spun towards Emilie. Estelle ran towards the girl but could do nothing. She cried and screamed, but knew her sister was gone.

Horns blared in her ears, lights flashed before her eyes, but all that remained in focus was the small body within her arms. Emilie was limp like a doll, and her curls matted with blood. Her beautiful blue eyes that always held a spark stared lifelessly. The faint glisten of tears still beaded at the corners.

“Emilie,” Estelle cried as she pressed the girl tightly to her chest.

“Emilie,” she said aloud as her eyes snapped open.