Chapter 3

Silence reigned throughout the dark room of scarlet red and midnight shadows. Estelle could feel the subtle burn of her throat and knew that were she to speak, her voice would be soft and raspy. Her body felt weak and her mind dangerously feeble- with her very sanity already at the brink of crumbling. Her anger had since depleted, leaving only helplessness.

Such sorrow and sadness overwhelmed Estelle. The faintest hint of tears pricked at her eyes as her clips clenched about her side. Despite the blur of the clouded image, she would not allow the strange man see her cry. Yes, she insisted upon calling him a man. Despite what she could clearly see, her mind could not handle the possibility that he spoke the truth.

Little did Estelle know that behind that calculated grin and glowing eyes, Keehlan manipulated her thoughts- carefully shifting through to inspire the desired emotions. He could find no sentiments of lust or desire. He knew that the girl was innocent, but just how much surprised him. She was a novice to love- had never felt more than the ties of familial devotion. Never had she loved a man, and Keehlan appreciated the challenge. He would make her his- entirely, and irrevocably his.

But first he must placate her anger. To do so, he pulled forth memories of her sister. She was quite dear to the girl, for each memory of her held a particular glow, a warmth- love. But more than love, he found voracious grief.

The new state of his current toy was preferred, but even still, he disapproved. Something about the gaze of her widened eyes, filled with unshed tears and desperation, bothered him. It was like an itch that just couldn’t quite be scratched. In fact, she filled him with an insatiable desire. Sure, he could have the girl, but where would be the fun in that. More so, he disapproved that her will was crushed so easily. He was a creature of no sentiment, and pure darkness, but with her there was something else. Whatever the reasons, this girl managed to arouse some sensations within his darkened heart- the darkest of emotions that he thought himself void of.

“What is you name?”

His voice was soft, dark, and mysterious, and the sound of it caused Estelle’s stomach to loll uneasily. Despite the innocence of the question, there was a glint to his eyes- a dangerous glint that warned her to remain silent. She idly stared at the ceiling above, allowing her eyes to trace the intricate swirls cast by the dimly lit chandelier.

His voice grew louder, more insistent. “I asked for your name girl. Now tell me,” he demanded.

Her eyes clutched shut at the onslaught of agony- so unexpected and so sudden. Again she felt the pain as fire licked her skin. Arms flung about wildly, yet found nothing but cool air. Moisture clung to her bare skin, her arms and legs were pasty and moist but did not sooth the burning pain. No, her body was not emerged within the glowing embers, the flame was within her- burning her from the inside out.

Her heart burned with growing intensity, and her chest rose in response, as if pulled by the strings of a marionette. Her hands wound themselves within the silky sheets that once seemed to constrain her, and now offered some sort of relief. There was no physical saving from the excruciating agony, but the soft touch fabric felt like rose petals against her skin. Her hands clutched desperately, as she held on to life itself.

Reality hit her abruptly; she was dying. No, her mind cried out in sorrow. She was too young to die. So much of her life unlived. So many experiences she had yet to have. But, what sorrowed her most was the realization that her life was an empty void. Never had she loved. Never had she done anything for herself or because she desired or wanted to. In that moment, Estelle was hit with the startling realization; a bit of her had died long ago. And now in death she felt more alive than ever before.

Something sharp dug into her chest. Within the anguish and suffering, her mind grew more focused. Was it a blade that pierced her? No, whatever it was as sharp as a dagger, but it was smaller- like five very small switchblades carving into her skin- like a hand with unusually sharp nails. For once in her life, her curiosity did not get the best of her. Her vivid imagination was too much as was,  filling her head with images of scarlet blood, staining the tarnished feathered remains of her dress.

 A single tear leaked from the corner of her eye, leaving an inky black trail from her ruined mascara. Estelle’s face contorted in pain as her lips parted. Her ears rung; she could hear cries, a shrill, sharp scream, and muffled cries for help. Her eyes darted about wildly, only to find no salvation. The voice was familiar, she realized with surprise. She would not cry. She would not scream. And most importantly, she would not beg. She would not give the dark man that satisfaction. Yet, somehow, she unknowingly found herself doing all three.

“Please,” she begged between broken sobs. “Please… please make it stop. It hurts,” she whimpered in hopeless defeat.

As suddenly as it began, it ended. She gasped heavily for air, allowing to fill her. With the exception of her rising and falling chest, her body remained deathly still. Her hands remained tightly intertwined within the fabrics of the sheets she had clutched so desperately at. Her glistening eyes stared steadfast upon the ceiling above. Her expression remained contorted though the pain had since vanished.

Eyes fluttering shut, she gave in to exhaustion. For the second time, she lost consciousness. Yet she felt no fear; in fact, she preferred the darkness to the dangerous man before her, but she could not escape his intoxicating voice- so soft and deceivingly gentle. It pried at her subconscious, calling her back. His voice refused her the peace that death longed to offer.

Never was she one to give up, but when life held no promises, no hope, no joy, what was there to live for?

Author's note: I am so sorry for how long it took me too post this. I know it is short, but I have already started the next part so I promise I will upload more soon. I hope that you are still interested. I'm new to writing so I'm not sure if I'm going to fast, dragging it out, or anything really...haha! Anyways, I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks a ton lovelies!:D