Fortunate

"So what'd ya two talk about?" Mairu tilted her head, twirling around and about in her uniform.

"Dusty (you seemed rough up.)" Added Kururi in her usual gym get-up.

The two raven haired girls flanked to each side of Aoba.

I'm either extremely fortunate, or a complete fool.

Kururi tilted her head. "Silent. (are you alright?)"

Let's go with being a complete fool, for now. His smirk remained, its usual glow prominent. "Why yes," ,he said on a honey sweet tone, "I'm quite fine. That Shizuo is certainly an interesting person."

By 'interesting', he meant a total fool. The man wasn't even able to handle a few simple words from a child.

Mairu nodded, her braids bobbing around and about. "Yeah, but his brother is better. By a long shot."

Aoba tilted his head, raising an eyebrow, "You mean the actor?"

Kururi nodded slightly, "Yes. (that is correct)."

Aoba gave a bitter laugh, throwing his head back as he looked at the sky. As if it actually mattered. Kasuka Heiwajima, with his perfect job, and an elder brother he could depend on. Kasuka wouldn't be able to handle Izumi. Kasuka's life was all too perfect, really.

On a different topic, Shizuo Heiwajima. He could prove to be beneficial.

Aoba was able to set up his brother and framed him for a fire. He was the leader of Blue Squares. He had been able to manipulate Izumi for quite a long time. Anri Sonohara also proved to be of use.

But - he looked at his right hand, the scar still there - Mikado Ryugamine was a different story altogether. He wasn't as innocent as his friends would like to believe. The leader of 'Dollars', however, was but a secondary threat.

If there was anyone in Aoba's way, it was that informant. Same goals, same targets, but superior skills compared to the teenager.

It was a fact Shizuo and Izaya hated each other. Therefore, Shizuo would be essentially useful in keeping that man out of his way.

"Hey! Are you even listening?" Mairu's demanding voice made Aoba snap back to reality. In his face was Mairu's phone. "Just what are you thinking about, Aoba-kun?"

Oh, nothing but your brother's demise, really.

"Anyways, Aoba-kun, have you seen this yet?"

The screen on her phone was mostly black, aside from a bull's-eye style symbol, with a white plus sign. The letters spelled out 'SIRENS'.

"What exactly is it?"

Shoulders slumping, Mairu placed a hand on her hip. "I thought you were smart." She sighed, "Basically something like 'Dollars', it's really popular at school. Haven't you noticed?"

Considering I have you two talking my ear all the time? No.

Smiling, Aoba surfed through the internet on his phone, typing multiple times, as he searched and searched through his phone.

Kururi leaned in, taking control of his phone.

He forced the faint blush down and cleared his throat. Actually, at this proximity, I'm quite the fortunate one.

Soon, the website popped up, with a bar for a password.

A copycat of 'Dollars', it seems.

"So what's the password?"

Kururi shook her head, "Unknown (we haven't found out)."

"They want your e-mail for it. Iza-nii told us not to bother with it." Mairu explained, giving a little skip.

I find it sad that even these two have a better brother than I. Even if it is by a millimetre. Aoba had serious doubts that even the info broker would go so far as to actually abuse his siblings. Ignore them and insult them? More likely, but it was - to a degree - doubtful he'd go as far as Izumi had.

Studying the screen, Aoba spotted something out of the corner of his eye, across the street. A trio, most likely of upperclassmen. Ah, he most definitely saw Mikado. And there was Sonohara - senpai as well! Along with - of course - that golden-eyed boy. Masaomi Kida.

Ice and fire caught one another's glances. With his trademark smile, Aoba gave a small bow. Hope your girl is coping well.

Turning to Kururi and Mairu, he gave a wave. "I'm off," ,he announced. The twins didn't seem to mind. They were now occupied with one and another as they talked about god knows what. Turning away, Aoba's smile deviated to nothing but a dark laugh, throwing his head in the air once more.

This was too perfect. A new piece was appearing, and the chessboard, with multiple opponents, was forming quite nicely.

Checkmate is mine.