Nate

I took a deep breath as I stepped into the small cafe. I walked to the counter and smiled at the barista.

  "What can I get for you today?" The blonde said cheerfully.

  "Actually I'm here for an interview. I'm applying for a job here." I smirked.

She nodded and walked to the back room. When she came back, who I'm assuming was the manager was with her. He was a big guy, with tattoos and slicked back hair. Not someone you'd expect to work at Starbucks but then again, you can't judge a book by its cover.

  "Bryan Larson, manager." He smiled and put his hand out.

  "Nate Matthews. Good to meet you." I said as I shook his hand.

  "Shall we get started?" He asked. I nodded and followed him to a table.

  "Here's my résumé. I don't have experience making coffee but I could do other things."  I handed him my résumé and noticed my hand shaking. Why the hell am I nervous?!

   "You have an amazing record. I would love to hire you. Can I ask you a few questions?" He look from me to the paper.

  "Of course. I'm an open book." I said seriously.

  "We need someone for the graveyard shift. It's from 9pm to 11pm. All you would be doing is restocking straws and cups, little things. Sweeping, making sure everything is clean and presentable. How's that sound?"

  "That sounds great!" I said excitedly.

  "Great! One more question..."

  "Fire away." I smiled.

  "Are you free for dinner tonight?" He asked and bit his pierced lip. I felt my cheeks get red I held in a chuckle.

  "Sorry, I'm straight." I grinned. I felt awkward suddenly and stood up as he did.

  "It was a long shot but doesn't hurt to try right? You start tonight. Good luck kid." He smiled. I nodded and walked out of the cafe. I could barely contain my excitement. It's not much, but it's a job and that's all I needed.