Chapter 1

I met Candy a couple years ago. She was an orphan and completely lost. For the same reasons as me, she came to Camden Town to find an employment. I took her under my wing. I comprehended her emptiness. She had an adrift look, one you can notice in a corpse's eyes. I housed her for several weeks, I let her sleep on my bed whilst I slumbered on anything relatively flat. Her actions were sloppy and mechanical, her face expressionless, and her mouth speechless. After a while, she came back to life. When she first spoke to me she whispered, "Hello, my name is Candice." She was so grateful for everything I'd done. That's how we grew so close. That's why we're best friends now.

Candy's evolved lots since I first encountered her. The frail and diffident ghost I once knew has bloomed into a ghastly punk. Her bubblegum hair is usually tied in an odango or plaited into various mermaid braids. Her pale, crystalline baby-face with rosy cheeks should make her look puerile, however, having dotted her features with snakebite, septum and helix piercings, the image she conveyed hugely contrasted. A jet-black coat of lipstick constantly overspreads her plump amaranth lips, and a thick rim of coal eyeliner contours her pink star diamond eyes. I could get lost in those enchanting eyes of hers. Their shade was the colour of a passionate love, lucid irises as pure as the silver streams as if blessed by Tethys.

Candy's usually clothed in pink and raven coloured pastel goth attires. It suits her. A mixture that is hard to pull off but looks great if you manage to. It's her overall appearance and her sweet personality that gave Candice the nickname "Candy". I don't think she appreciates it, so she forbids everyone to use it, except me of course. I slowly come back to my senses, steadily meandering out of my daydream. Toby and Candy chat merrily whilst sipping their warm lattes. I peep down at the untouched hot chocolate heating my chilly hands, the vapour caressing my face.

"Lainie, you're always so distant." Toby moaned "Come on, join us." He continues warm-heartedly.

"I was just telling Toby that a new girl is going to join The Underworld. She's arriving next week I believe." Candy explained to me. I didn't want to start talking about The Underworld so prematurely in the day. It's the only conversation topic that exists in Camden Town. It's pretty much only a gothic inn for punks. In this area of London you either find tourists, unmasked people, or the ones who belong. The unmasked people is the name given to those who come here because they can't show their true nature elsewhere. These tend to be drug-addicted businessmen, alcoholic high-class snobs, or generally people with something to hide, or something they aren't proud of. Those who belong, are us, the youngsters who work and live here, those who can't go anywhere else. We dislike mingling with others, so we created a place to escape to, somewhere for us to flock together. The Underworld.

"Cool" I answered, endeavouring to sound moderately interested. Toby frowns, his shamrock eyes fading to a viridian green. It's funny how accurate the saying "eyes are the window to the soul" is.

"C'mon Lainie, who knows, maybe she'll be a great person. Maybe she'll even be your girlfriend." He teased as a huge smirk conquered his face. Candy blushed and turned away to contemplate the tumbling leaves outside. She hated talking about relationships, it made her uncomfortable.

"Wow Toby, that's simply hilarious, it even made me forget to laugh." I remarked monotonically as I stirred my beverage.

"I'm serious! You never consider having that sort of bond with anyone. Maybe it can help you." What a peculiar suggestion. Help me with what? I don't have any problems...

"Well neither has Candy, she's never hinted anything regarding that matter." I instantly regretted saying that. Candy looked our way and blushed even more. I shouldn't have embarrassed her like that.

"Candice? You haven't thought about dating someone? Or is there a boy you don't want to tell us about?" He questioned. She was uncomfortable; her cheeks were now a bright pink.

"Umm," she stuttered, "No, I don't think that's the thing for me." Toby finally noticed her discomfort.

"Sorry for bringing the topic up. Anyway, she'll be staying at the inn for a few days before she finds a place. We all have to greet her on Friday so please meet me at The Underworld at 7." He got up and winked at us. "I'll be in the back if you need me." My eyes followed his shadow until he disappeared into the kitchens.

Candy swivelled her chair to face me properly "so," she started "you really think the new kid could be something more than a friend to you?" she asked almost inaudibly. I didn't know why she was pursuing the topic despite her unease.

"I thought talking about relationships made you uncomfortable" I retort whilst sipping my lukewarm drink. She started becoming even more nervous, a strawberry-red shade overwhelmed her usually milky-white skin. She focused on her coffee and her fingers started to fidget in quite a violent manner.

"It does. I really hate talking about it. I want to know your answer though." She eventually answered.

"Well... I don't see why she couldn't be"

"Thanks... for answering I mean." Candy mumbled.