Chapter 3

Ross watched Max as he checked into the hotel. The man had dark red hair, hidden under a black cloth hat, and was wearing a matching black turtleneck sweater, with a grey line that went horizontally across its center, along with black jeans. A silver chain hung around his neck, with a charm shaped like the letter 'Z' hanging from it. He had what Ross had to admit was a pleasing frame, tall and thin, with the faintest sign of muscles showing under his clothes. His eyes were also nice, a warm brown, though they tended to be scowling.

These thoughts, the thoughts that swarmed his mind as he stared at this, this outsider, terrified him. He had to get rid of them. No one was allowed in the town of Redstone that didn't abide by the laws of Sky, their protector. Which meant that, soon, Max would be gotten rid of, in one way or another. And Ross wouldn't be able to go with him, not unless it was an extremely permanent solution, in which case Ross didn't want to go with him. So the thoughts that remarked on how nice the stranger looked, how pleasing the stranger's figure was, those thoughts had to go. And fast.

Maybe, if Ross was lucky, the mayor would decide they didn't want him to be the person watching Max after all. Maybe she'd decide it would be better if someone else took over, someone else became the watcher of the outsider.

Said outsider was walking over to him right now, having obtained a room. "Right, well, thanks for showing me over here." Max was giving Ross that look again, mistrustful and worried. "But I'm gonna go now. Later." It was a clear dismissal, which, for as long as Ross was assigned to guard Max, he couldn't let happen, not entirely.

"Wait, here." Ross grabbed Max's arm. The older man flinched, trying to pull away, but Ross didn't let him, instead using his free hand to dig through his pockets until he found a pen. "My phone number," he explained, and some of the tension left Max's stance. "In case you need more help getting around town, or with anything. I don't have anything better to do, not during the summer."

"Uh, thanks." Max gave him a calculating look, which Ross pretended he didn't notice. "I'll keep it in mind."

"Cool." Ross gave Max a nervous smile, then ducked his head and turned, heading out of the motel. "See you around!" He glanced back, and gave Max a small wave.

"Yeah, sure." The smile Max gave him looked partially forced, but also slightly genuine, reaching up to crinkle the skin around his eyes. Ross felt his heart stutter, and he had to look away to hide the blush that crept up his face.

He wished Max hadn't smiled at him. Now he had another thing to try and forget, to ignore and pretend had never happened so he didn't become any more entranced in such danger.

But, at the same time, a smaller, deeper part of his mind was lighting up with joy at the fact that, partially forced or not, Max had smiled at him.