“I-I'm sorry Zayn,” Niall breath out, sitting up straight. “I can't go out with you. I'm seeing someone at the moment,”

“What?” Zayn asked, now it was his turn feel gobsmacked. Niall was seeing someone? How can he not know this? Was Niall lying to him?

“And I just really want to keep you in my life,” Niall continued, looking Zayn straight in the eye with his deep bright blue ones. “All my life, I never had a steady relationship. If we start dating, and something bad happens somewhere in the future that might result in me losing you, then I don't want to risk it. I-I just got you back, and if it's possible, I want you to stay. I don't want you to be just some guy that comes in and out of my life. I want you to stay,”

“What makes you think that we won't work?” Zayn said huskily. He moved forward, brushing his plump lips with Niall's thin pink ones, breathing hot breath on it. Niall shivered lightly, and had to use all his strength not to crash his lips with Zayn's. “What makes you think that we will screw it up?”

“I don't,” Niall replied, grabbing a fistful of Zayn's shirt and pushed him back slightly “I just don't want to risk it Zayn. I don't want to lose you again,”

Zayn could practically sense the sincerity and strain in Niall's voice; It makes his heart swell with pride knowing that Niall didn't want to lose him in his life again, but also slightly hurt that he didn't want to give them a chance. Basically, Niall had friend-zoned him with the reason of not wanting to lose him.

“On one condition then,” Zayn breathed out after a few minutes of silence.

“Again?” Niall chuckled lightly “Okay, what is it?”

“If this 'guy' you're seeing hurts you,..I'll kill him,” Zayn said, his tone emotionless.

“Well, I'll make sure to warn him then,” Niall chuckled, wrapping his arm around Zayn's neck. Zayn his arm slowly to wrap it around Niall's small waist, bringing their bodies closer. Zayn was quite devastated that will in held in someone elses arm, his lips will kiss another man and his heart will always long for someone that isn't him. But like he promised, if that guy hurts him in any way, he will not hesitate to hurt him.

“I hate the fact that you're bigger than me,” Niall mumbled in Zayn's shoulder.

“Everyone is bigger than you Ni,” Zayn chuckled, and Niall could fell the vibration on his chest. “But no-one has a bigger heart than you,”

“If I have a big heart, than I wouldn't leave you, breaking my promise,” Niall mumbled sadly, and Zayn didn't know what to say to prove it otherwise.

***

“You know Zee, you're voice reminds me of my boss, well ex-boss,” Niall spoke up as they walked hand-in-hand back to Niall's apartment.

“Really?” Zayn's eyes widened at the statement, thinking of their previous conversation over the phone that didn't end very well. It's a good thing that “Wait, what's with the 'ex'?”