“You’re not seriously going to fight him, are you?” He asked, now extremely worried.

“He doesn’t know that I’ve gained strength and muscle since I left this household.” I explained. “Even if Cole does beat me, at least I tried. At least I gave myself a chance to get some dignity back.”

Perry nodded and followed me to the bathroom where he helped me take the contacts back out before leading me to the back yard.

“Oh, look everyone. It’s Runt.” Cole snickered. “And here I’d thought you were hiding away somewhere. I’ll give points to the fact that you actually showed up.”

I rolled my eyes and shifted, snarling at the pack alpha. He smiled sinisterly back at me then shifted into a big black wolf almost twice his size.

Cole froze and blinked, shaking his head until two small things fell from his face. When I looked closer, I realised what they were; coloured contacts. I always knew my brother to have dark brown eyes, but when I looked back up, blood red eyes glared back at me. Cole’s eyes were the same colour as mine.

It all sunk in and I grew angry. I lunged at him, knocking the black wolf to the ground. We have the same eye colour, and you dare call me a freak? I snapped at his neck, but he rolled out from underneath me. I lunged again. Our grandmother is an arctic wolf, and I’m unnatural?!

My brother growled at me and pounced, biting one of my paws. I snapped back in retaliation and leapt out from underneath him. The two of us began to circle each other.

By now, my other brothers had also shifted and were growling and howling at the two of us.

Cole lunged again, this time landing the hit and pinning me to the ground. All I have to do is bite and tug, and I’ve snapped your neck. He growled.

I shut my eyes tightly and flinched, awaiting my death. Suddenly, the weight of the wolf was taken off me. I stood up and open my eyes to see a large brown wolf pinning my brother to the ground and snarling at him.

The wolf snapped at Cole’s neck and bit down on his shoulder, causing him to yelp.

The woods were silent as the yelp echoed through the trees and shocked birds flew from their nests. I looked around, wondering who the brown wolf was. Kite and Swift were both staring in shock at my brother, meaning that it was Perry who had attacked Cole.

Cole whimpered and rolled onto his back - a sign of giving up and a sign of submission. The others gasped as we realised what this meant. No one had intended for this to be playful, and Perry had technically won this fight after Cole’s withdrawal. If a wolf beats an alpha in combat, they take over the position of leader of the pack.

I looked to the others, who looked back at me. None of us knew what to do. Perry shifted back and walked over to me, giving me a quick tousle of the ears .

“Stay right here,” he said and went back into the house. A moment later he came back fully dressed and holding my glasses and a large t-shirt. I returned to my human form and slipped the shirt and glasses on, thankful that I could now see.

Cole snarled from behind us, but my other brothers stepped in front of us. They knew wolf tradition. Cole had been beaten by Perry (even if he had had help) and was therefore no longer the leader of the Red Wing pack. My eldest brother stepped back, knowing that he could not fight off all of us at once. He turned and retreated into the surrounding forest, disappearing from our sight.

Perry turned back to me and smiled. “I’ll call Rowan to come pick you up. You deserve to go back to your home after all this.” He smiled.

I thanked him and entered the house, flopping down on the sofa in the living room.

About an hour later, Rowan arrived at the house. When Swift went to answer the door, my mate pushed passed him and tackled me in a hug. He kissed my cheek. “You’re okay, right?” he pulled back, smiling, and I nodded.

The two of us hopped into his car. I waved to my brothers for what I hoped would be the last time for a while as we drove back towards the Silver Talon territory.

“Rowan?” I asked, turning my face to look out the window and feeling myself blushing slightly.

“Hm?”

“I love you,” I grinned, glancing back at him.

Rowan smiled, keeping his eyes on the road. “I love you too.”

~~~~~~~

Okay, guys. I would like to thank you all for your continued support on my story, Runt. This ‘book’ will be coming to an end soon, but that does not mean that you will not see Jay and Rowan anymore!

I am planning to do a sequel or a short side-story to go along with this book (or maybe even both). Please tell me which you would prefer by commenting below.

With this, i would be ever so grateful if you will keep on voting for and reviewing this book. I feel that it really helps me with my writing and it makes me happy that so many of you seem to like my writing!

So, please don’t be sad when I post the final chapter, for there is still so much more to come. I would just like to know what you guys would like me to work on. I have had the idea for the side-story in my head for a week or so now and I’m very excited to begin writing it. Once again, it would be a boyxboy story but about a couple of characters other than Runt and Rowan.

And then there’s the sequel. Although I’m not sure exactly what will happen with a second story, the idea is brewing in my brain and I know it will somehow come together.

Once again, to wrap it all up, thank you for supporting my story and little Runt’s journey.