Chapter 1

My room is covered in floral patterns. It has the best view in the house. Our beautiful house faces New York, New York. With light seeping in from every crack and every hole. Labeled with big, bright letters reads Aurora across my window. I can see all of the city lights, cars driving up and down the black pavement, and people walking in the heat of the day. I lay in my canopy bed that sits perfectly in the center of the bedroom. Judging by how my room is set up, you would think that I'm the daughter of a queen, but no, I'm your typical 18 year old girl. As my eyes force themselves open, the smell from the kitchen intrigues my nose. Bacon sizzling in the microwave. Eggs being cracked into a bowl and pancakes being flipped. I can hear the clinging of knives and forks hitting the table as my little brother Barbados prepares the table for breakfast. I should probably get up now. It's a warm, sticky Sunday. Sunday, the day to end all days. A day that I get to stay home and not have a care in the world. I guess I'll take a peep outside to see what the world is up to before going downstairs. As I gaze through my old, worn down window, I see a young girl. She's walking and staring as if may's lost. She has that thousand yard stare. She kicks a stone that bounces all the way into my yard. After that, a group of girls come rushing up to her. I'm guessing they're her friends. And just like that, they run off and disappear into the long, windy road ahead. Interesting.

                       I wonder what she's thinking about. Oh well, time to head downstairs. Down the stairs that lead me to my obnoxious brother. The caring and loving mother and the father who works so much, he wouldn't notice if his family had been missing for two weeks. I throw on this robe that reads Aurora on the back. It has a floral pattern on the entire robe and it's so long that it drags across the floor as I walk. When I wear it, it's like the Queen of England has walked into the room. I walk so elegantly and look so dashing. My skin gives off a bright radiance as if the sun were following right behind me, step by step. I smell of a thousand roses and a million daisies. 

                 I head downstairs with my robe sliding against each step until I reached the last one. I stop. "Ahh good morning to my beautiful daughter. Breakfast is almost ready sweetheart, so if you wouldn't mind sitting at the table and waiting for me pumpkin." "Why yes mom, anything for you." "Hello ugly. Did the smell of food wake you? Or did you have a dream about how ugly you were again?" "Haha, very funny." I never give into his insults. There have been times when I've had this irresistible urge to say something so rude to get him to shut up, but then I remember. I remember that he's only ten and is a boy. He has no clue about why he says what he says or does what he does. The more he insults me, the more I ignore him. "Barbados stop pestering your sister." As usual, my mom comes to the rescue, even though I don't need rescuing. My mom always felt like she had to step in and protect me. 

               I'm guessing this stems from some deep guilt she has for how her and her brother acted. Her parents probably didn't stop him and as a result, his insults turned into low blows as he got older. This is only a scenario of course. "So mom. How's everything been going at work? And pass me the syrup please." "Work has been pretty good. I'm banking on getting promoted to head of the firm. And do you remember Tanya? The one who always put me down and said the worst things about me?" "Of course, who could forget mom?" "Well my works with me now and my wants to have lunch. I don't know Aurora. What should I do?" "I say go for it. Who knows, you two could actually become good friends." "You're right sweetheart, I'll accept her offer!" As we begin to laugh and our stomachs cramp, Barbados says something that even got dads attention. "Why the hell are you two laughing? I ain't heard nothing funny." Mom says, "Barbados, you watch your mouth!" Dad got up and walked over just to stand in front of the table. He stares at Barbados as if he was erasing every bad thought and memory from his brain. He weirdly walks off and goes to sit back on the couch where there was no excitement. That was the thing about dad. He never had to say much, because with his body language, you knew exactly what he meant. I lost my appetite and asked to be excused from the table. I feel like going out for a walk. After all it's 11 in the morning and soon it'll be noon. I always felt like noon was when all the fun began.