“S-Sadie.. A-and Soda…”

No words would form in my mouth, there was no way of explaining, or lying, or pleading. There was nothing.

The silence stretched out as we stared into each other’s eyes, I saw nothing but hurt in his.

“They’re dating, aren’t they?” Johnny asked rhetorically.

My silence gave him his answer.

Sometimes, silence can be so freaking loud.

Johnny blew out a shaky breath, clenching his fists, gritting his teeth.

The sight frightened me beyond anything I had experienced all evening.

For the first time, I was pleading.

“Johnny…”

Johnny stepped away, repulsion and hurt etched in the harsh lines of his face.

“Johnny… I...”

Johnny raised his hand in front of me, and started off in a brisk walk.

I was stunned, frozen in shock, as if blocks of ice had grown on my feet, making movement impossible.

My face had become as white as snow, my lips trembling like a flame in the wind.

My alarmed and bewilderedness had wiped out all other emotions.

Then I started to panic.

I was stumbling after Johnny, trying to catch up but too overwhelmed to be as quick and steady as I normally was.

I caught up to him just as we were on my street.

“Johnny!” I cried, sounding quite frankly pathetic.

He didn’t slow down.

He entered my house.

I quickly entered just as Johnny was approaching Sadie.

Sadie looked at me briefly, and I knew there was no way of stopping anything now.

It is a strange thing, but when you are dreading something, and would give anything to slow down time, it has a disobliging habit of speeding up.

And as I reached them from across my living room, everyone was listening as Johnny spoke loudly, clearly, and rhetorically.

“You two are dating?” He directed at both Sadie and Soda who were sitting beside each other.

There was that silence that gave his answer again.

I didn’t dare look at Sadie; I would be brought to shame and guilt when I saw her horror filled face I knew she wore.

“Johnny,” Soda’s voice came out stronger than I expected.

“I’m sorry,” his voice quieted.

Finally I looked up at my boyfriend, and I wanted nothing more than to hug him, and tell him I’m sorry, tell him we’re all sorry.

Johnny’s eyes were unmoving, tattered, and he looked like a wounded puppy.

“You all didn’t tell me?” He muttered, his voice broke.

It’s better to get hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie. But for myself, I’d much rather not be hurt like that.

“I love him Johnny,” Sadie said, quietly.

Johnny stared at her, “We’re going home,” he said.