Chapter 25

I clicked the button on my IPod in the station, bobbing my head to the familiar song that blared through the speakers. I grabbed the duster as I twirled through the living room, resuming my cleaning that had been going on all morning. I had recently had a get-together with a few of my friends and Niall’s, and I had refused to clean up after it. It wasn’t incredibly dirty, I just knew that it could use some straightening up. So here I was, dust-busting my bookshelves and entertainment system whilst Imagine Dragons rattled the windows in their panes. 

I sang along to the lyrics, screaming them out as I slid down the hallway. The song changed, and I peaked my head around the corner. A new song, by the infamous Taylor Swift flooded through the house. I was confused, seeing as I hardly listened to her music because I had no interest in her older albums. This song was her newest album, though, Red, I think, and as I let the warm feeling of the acoustic instrumental filled the house. It picked up suddenly, singing about a boy that obviously held some fondness to her. A smile touched my features as Niall’s face came to my mind, and I spun away, listening to the words with a smile still on my lips. 

I began to wonder just what she meant by Holy Ground, but an impatient knocking on the door snapped me out of my revere. Without pausing the music, I vaulted over the couch and to the foyer, where I reached out to yank the door open. And thinking of the devil, Niall stood on the stoop, fist raised to knock again. A jacket hung off of his broad shoulders, and I knew why as a blast of cool air hit me. It was starting to grow colder here, and I was kind of grateful for it. His eyebrows shot up and he looked in the house as if he could see where the music was coming from.

“Hi.” I said shyly, moving aside so he could step in.

“Hey, Bleu. What are you doing in here?” He had to raise his voice so that I could hear him over the music.

“Cleaning!” I said, grabbing his hand once he’d shucked his jacket and hung it up. “I’m almost finished!” I said, walking through the living room and polishing off the dusting. I was swaying to the beat of the song, and when I finished I turned to find Niall splayed out on the couch, watching me with a dark expression.

I blushed and wanted to cover up because the way he was looking at me made me feel so exposed, at least more exposed than the shorts and knit sweater I wore. The song chimed about dancing, with a certain someone, and I got an idea. I approached him, holding my hands out and pulling him up before he could pull me down. I pressed my chest to his, my eyes boring into his beautiful blue one’s and a grin never wavering from my face. I wrapped my arms around his waist, looping them around to rest my hands on the back of his shoulders, slightly swaying our bodies. The song switched over to a quieter beat, fitting the lazy, slow movement of our dance. 

John Mayer had to be one of my favorite artists, his song Daughters always striking a nerve in me, and the ability to make me dance on any given notice when I heard his voice never ceased to amaze me. And shocked I was when Niall rested his hands on my hips and allowing me to lay my head on his chest and hear the steady thrum of his heartbeat. I let my eyes drift closed when Niall began to sing to me, his voice morphing perfectly with John’s, shivers shooting all over my body. The song ended, and Niall left me to turn off the dock. I stood in the middle of the room, watching him and expecting him to turn and come back to be. When he rested his hands on the mantle on either side of the docking station, leaning over and hanging his head, I was a bit surprised. He looked…tense. 

“Ni?” I asked, taking a tentative step toward him. I didn’t know what to do, and I was quite sure worry lines were all over my face, but I didn’t want to upset him any further. I knew it wasn’t me that had done anything, but it still didn’t appeal to get on Niall’s bad side right now. After a few deep breath’s from him, he turned to look at me, still leaned over. His eyes had darkened considerably, and I could tell he wanted to say something. I fiddled with the hem of my sweater, waiting to hear what he had to say.