Chapter Eight

"Look at her over there hitting that ball so confidently, who does she think she is?" Alison laughed bitterly. I was in gym class and Alison was referring to our classmate Elly who was playing a very competitive game of tennis.

"She probably just wants to pass this class like the rest of us Ali" I sighed. Alison had spent the whole of class ranting about Elly. Elly was really smart and was on the decathlon team with Spencer, like Spencer she just had a knack for excelling in everything. The school was holding a Romeo and Juliet play and Ali and Elly had both auditioned for the role of Juliet. Elly got the role and Alison was outraged because she thought she was physically more suited to the role. Alison was more physically suited to the role, she was beautiful like Juliet, but this wasn't Hollywood, this was a school play where looks didn't matter so much, but of course Ali being Ali was treating it like a Hollywood movie.

"I mean just look at her in those tiny grey shorts she is wearing, she is practically bursting out of them! She is a size 16, not a freaking size 6 for god's sake" Ali continued with her rant sounding even more outraged. Elly was pretty, she had died purple hair that I thought was pretty cool, she had these gorgeous big brown eyes and plump lips. Elly was short and very curvy which Alison probably hated.

"Ali, I know you and you can't just be mad because she got the role of Juliet and you didn't" I pointed out to her. Ali thought about this for a minute as she put her hair up into a messy bun on the top of her head.

"You know Andrew is playing Romeo, right?" Alison asked.

"Andrew Campbell from the Decathlon team?" I said looking over at Elly.

"Yes him...He is so gorgeous in a nerdy kind of way. I wanted to get the role of Juliet so I could kiss him, I bet he is secretly a seductive kisser, don't you think?" Ali practically gushed, her sapphire like eyes lighting up.

"I guess so...I haven't really thought about it. Anyway I thought you went on a date with that guy?" I asked remembering the date that she had told us all about at her sleepover a few weeks ago.

"It was a date, Aria, I'm not bound to the guy so being interested in other guys isn't hurting anybody now is it?" Alison said a little impatiently. I nodded my head in agreement not wanting to make her mad.

I wondered how the date went with Alison's mystery guy I would ask her, but since she seems to want to keep his identity a secret there would be no point in probing her for information that she will never give me. If she can have secrets then why couldn't I?

I began feeling nervous knowing that soon I would be meeting Jason, I wondered what he wanted to talk to me about. Just as the day was coming to an end my English teacher suddenly stopped everyone in class from going home.

"Listen up guys, there is a storm going on outside, Rosewood have just had a weather warning, we are expecting torrential rain and gale force wind of up to one hundred miles per hour. These are really dangerous conditions for walking and driving so for your own safety the principle has urged everyone to stay here until the storm passes" She informed us all at the front of the class. There were moans of frustration coming from some students, other students were calling their parents to let them know.

I didn't know whether Jason would still be in school or not, he has a habit of showing up when he feels like it and I hadn't seen him. I tried to send him a message on Facebook to let him know what was happening, but I had no signal. What if he was already waiting for me? I just had this gut instinct that I had to leave, I needed to see him and a storm wasn't going to stop me. It had just started to rain so maybe if I left right away I could make it to Starbucks before the storm got worse.

I gathered my books together and stood up and made my way to the door, but my teacher stood in front of it.

"And where do you think you are going Aria?" She asked with her hands on her hips.

"Oh, I actually have to be somewhere so if you could just let me pass that would be great" I replied trying to find the door knob, but realizing she had her hand over it.

"I have somewhere to be too which is at home watching re-runs of Maury with my three cats, but I can't go home because I have to look after you little brats!" She snapped at me and I stepped back feeling slightly disturbed that she was that angry about not getting to watch Maury.

"Oh um, well I actually have somewhere to be which doesn't involve the TV...I actually have a doctor's appointment so I need to go to that" I lied.

"Do you want to go to hell? Because that's where you will go if you set foot outside. No one is going anywhere so sit your ass down now Aria!" She shouted at me with her crazy eyes. I gulped and sat back down...she was pissed and I didn't want to piss her off anymore.

"I really need to use the bathroom" I said to her ten minutes later. I figured if she let me go then I wouldn't take my books with me so it would look like I was going to come back.

"Alright, alright if it will shut you up then go ahead, oh and on your way back do me a favour and get me a coffee from the cafeteria, I take it with three sugars and a double shot" She said sitting at her desk looking as miserable as sin.

"Okay, got it" I smiled walking out the door casually, when I shut the door and got half way down the hallway that's when I decided to make a run for it. I grabbed my bag from my locker and dashed outside into the pouring rain. The rain was ice cold against my skin and made me shiver, but I had to make it to Starbucks...I had to know.

When I got to Starbucks I looked like I had just taken a shower with all of my clothes on. I was so cold from all the rain that I was shivering, I slumped down into a chair and tried to get my breath back as I had ran all the way to Starbucks. I looked around and couldn't see Jason anywhere, obviously I had gotten here first. As I sat trying to get my breath back I happened to see a figure staggering outside Starbucks, his back was facing the window, but I knew it was Jason. I didn't know why he was staggering until I saw an empty beer bottle in his hand...he was drunk again, my heart started to pound in my chest, I was worried about Jason, this was the second time in less than a week that I had seen him drunk...I had a feeling something was seriously wrong and just as I was going to go outside to find out what was wrong a black car pulled up next to Jason. He staggered slowly towards the car, opened the door and got in. A woman leaned over towards the passenger seat with a concerned look on her face, she wrapped her arms around Jason's neck and embraced him rocking him in her arms...I felt sick to my stomach as I discovered the woman in the car was Melissa Hastings.

oma�x�ɷo>