Home?

Kendra stared at the officer, "Sorry, I'm what?" she asked.

The officer looked at her, "Free to go."
"Oh, okay." Kendra stood up and glanced at Eliot, who appeared to be pretending like no one else was there.

She stared at him sadly, then looked back at the man in the doorway. "Of course, may I get my things?"

He nodded and Kendra stood up, cast one long glance back at Eliot and then gathered up her stuff and left the room. As she walked down the hall with the guard a deep painful gnawing started in her stomach, she realized that it was guilt, guilt for the fact that she left that cell and Eliot didn't. She fought back tears, she was just emotional like that.

"Don't forget to read your Bible." Eliot called after her, with a smirk.

- - -

Kendra walked into her house, sighing. She went into the living room, set down her things and then plopped onto the couch. Her friend, Kellie, walked in and sat down next to her. "So, I fed your fish and everything... what was jail like?"

"I don't want to talk about it." Kendra groaned, laying her head back.

"Oh come on, The Doctor wouldn't be ashamed of his hardtimes."

"I'm not the Doctor, now am I?"

"Well no, but that doesn't matter. Listen, Kerri and I will take you out tonight, we can go for dinner. There's not a whole lot of things to do, but it'll be nice either way." her friend offered a smile.

Kendra sighed, a slight smile creeping up her face. "Okay, sounds nice."

"Aaand, Iain's back."

"Really? I thought he'd be gone for awhile."

"Um, he was, you were in jail for almost a month."

"Oh, I suppose I was." the thought swirled in Kendra's mind, a whole month?

"He brought back a girl, her name is Cathy. She's 'really sweet'." she made quotations with her fingers. "I don't believe him."

Kendra forced a smile on her face. "Yay, a girl." she never thought Iain would get a girl, maybe she supposed that he'd always be there if she never married, then she'd just marry him, but that was obviously not the case.

- - -

Three hours later, Kendra had showered and was dressed in comfy clothes, she was splayed out on her couch, sniffling to herself and eating Ramen noodle soup

A whole month of her life had practically disappeared. Time had just been sucked away and now all she had left was Iain and his new girlfriend, Cathy.

A slow, sharp rap came at the door. She went to answer it, dragging her feet. It was Iain, of course. He hugged her and fussed over her.
"You were in jail, are you okay?" he asked, over and over.

"Yeah, I'm fine. How's your mom?" she tried to shrug him off, but he held on, she didn't dare bring up Cathy, sure that he would.

"Great, great. Oh, let's sit down." he led her to the couch and say her down. "I met someone, back in Scotland, she's a lovely English lass, Cathy's her name."

Kendra nodded, pursing her lips, she hated the way he said her name. "Oh, she sounds, um... nice"

"She is." he said, smiling and looking down. "You should meet her."

"I'd love to," she replied a little too fast, so then took a few breaths. "You should bring her to dinner with Kerri, Kellie and I." she mentally kicked herself.

- - -

"You said what?!" Kellie cried, the phone making her voice tinny.

Kendra sighed and moved the phone to her other shoulder. "I said he should bring her to dinner to tonight, I couldn't stop them, the words just came out. Trust me I'm as mad at myself as you are, I mean, have you even met her?"

"Yes. Well, no, I saw her... from a distance." the sound of nails tapping on a table came through the phone speaker.

"Ugh, well they'll be here in a few minutes and then we're headed out, you'll be there, right?"

"Yeah. Bye." Kellie hung up, leaving Kendra holding the phone to her ear.

She set the phone down and went to finish doing her hair.

Ding dong.

"I hate that doorbell." she muttered heading towards the door, she hesitated, then opened it.

She saw Iain, beaming and looking a mess. And then she saw Cathy, she was beautiful, her brown hair was pulled back in a high ponytail, her brown eyes were bright and she had freckles that decorated her nose, she was about four inches shorter than Iain and he had his arm around her.

She stood so confidently that Kendra pursed her lips and forced a smile on her face. "Hi, I'm Kendra."

"Cathy." she said, her British accent filling Kendra with a longing for one.

"Pleasure, you two ready?" Kendra grabbed her coat off a chair and the three of them headed out.

The restaurant they were going to was in walking distance, but it was chilly, so Kendra pulled her coat right around her. She felt the heavy weight of envy when Iain gave his coat to Cathy, a winning grin on his face.

They got to the restaurant and saw Kerri and Kellie outside, waiting. Iain introduced Cathy to everyone and they went it.

After ordering, the topic of Kendra's recent imprisonment came up.

"Oh wow, what was jail like?" Cathy asked, her eye rows s lightly raised.

"Oh you know, orange, and boring." she chuckled, trying to avoid much more conversation that that.

A waitress came up and handed water to everyone, but Kendra, she was given coffee, they knew her well here.

"Who were you stuck in a cell with?" Kerri giggled.

"Uh, just some creep murderer." Kendra said, then chomped down on her tongue, she didn't mean that.

Excited chatter of who and why he murdered went around till Cathy spoke up. "What was his name?"

"Eliot."

"Hm," she smiled. "he sounds nice."

"He was."

Kellie cleared her throat, "Our food is here." she grabbed the trays from the waiter and passed them to the others.

"So Cathy, what do you do in your spare time?" Kerri asked, taking a bite of her food.

"I like to cook, I usually hide for spiders, but as an occupation, I'm a motivational speaker."

"Wow, cool." Kerri looked at Kelli and Kendra with an impressed face and mouthed 'I like her'.

Kendra's phone buzzed and she checked the new text message. 'You're out?!' it read, her mum.

'Yup.' she sent, then sent another real quick. 'Hey, can I come along to your women's Bible club on Fri?'