Hey Look, Cops At My Door

Kendra Macintyre shifted uncomfortably, she was sitting in a room full of crying people, oh how she hated her job. Being a psychiatrist's assistant was not an easy job, people like to start ahead of schedule and try to tell you their problems She could think of a million other things she could be doing right now and none of them involved listening to people who had far too many problems, what do they think self-help books are for? Psychiatrists are just depressed or mentally disturbed people who want to know that they're not alone in the world and so talk to other depressed or mentally disturbed people so everyone can have a shoulder to cry on. Let's face it, no one likes psychiatrists, except their patients. Kendra glanced around, to make sure no one was looking, quietly got up from her desk and dashed to the kitchen. She grabbed a mug from the cabinet and poured some coffee, gosh she was desperate. Her dad calls her a 'coffee addict', he made it sound like a bad thing, she couldn't see anything wrong with it. She loved coffee, all sorts of coffee, so what? Even the Queen of England loves coffee, or at least she would if she stopped drinking tea, which proves that everyone loves tea as well. Kendra liked tea, but not as much as coffee. There was once a man, who was in a cave and starving, he found some beans on a tree, tried to eat them but they were too bitter, so he roasted them, they were too hard, he then boiled them and when he drank the liquid he had the energy to travel for days to a town where the liquid, coffee, was made a miracle drug and he, a saint. See? Coffee does wonders, both for your status and for your health.

Kendra headed back to her desk before anyone noticed that she'd left, she sipped her coffee in silence, indulging herself in the strong characteristics of the beans. She sighed and leaned back in her chair as the patients waited, impatiently, for their session.

2 minutes passed... 5... 10... eventually a half hour passed by till the current session was over, a thin man with a gaunt face that was darkened with grief for his recently deceased brother. Kendra smiled at him, "I'm terribly sorry for your loss, Mr. Schrodinger." She said without looking up. After he left, she yawned and looked at her watch, it was 4:26pm and the office closed at 6:00pm, she had an hour and a half of people going in and out. The psychiatrist, Dr. Furlow, a slightly heavy set man that was balding, poked his head out. "Ms. Winger?" He called out in his nasally voice. "You may come in now." A plump woman stood up and waddled in, staring at everyone in a paranoid fashion the entire way. Kendra raised her eyebrows and sighed again.

By the time the office closed, Kendra had had three people yell at her and one spit on her. She was so sick of all of these people. She hurriedly walked home, wishing that even small towns like this one, would have taxi's. She got to her house and rushed inside. She hit 'messages' on her answering machine.

"You have 8 new messages." Beep.

"Alright Kennie." Kendra's dad, Bradley. "You and I have got to talk, that dog of yours has to be neu-" She quickly hit the skip button. "Gosh dad." She muttered as the next one started to play, it was her neighbor. "Stop calling the police! My music isn't disruptive, it's soothing! I should be the one calling the police on you for harassing me!" Kendra groaned, her neighbors music sounded like Rachmaninoff got high and made a musical piece inspired by a Picasso painting, it was mind numbing. She went to the next message, her accountant wanting to let her know that he had to cancel their next appointment, two from Kerri going on about her job and her ex-boyfriend, one from Kellie, her personal masseuse, asking about when they could meet up and one from her mother. "Hey darling, I was wondering if you wanted to go shopping, I still need to find shoes for the wedding and I was hoping you'd come along." Her brother was getting married and her seperated parents were asked to plan it.

Kendra sighed, all of these people, pining for her attention and she didn't feel like talking to any of them, well, except for maybe Kellie and Kerri, they were two of her greatest friends and could make anyone feel better.

She rolled her head around on her shoulders, then went and took a cold shower. After she towelled her hair, she cast a sidelong glance at herself in the mirror. Cascades of dark salmon hair, sharp grey eyes, a round face and a nose that was too thin and too long, she realized that she was a lot lovelier than some, but still hated her features.

She walked into her living room, dressed in a loose fitting tank top with long loose fitting jeans, she loved loose fitting clothes, they made her feel thinner. She curled up with a glass of iced tea on her couch, then turned on Star Trek: The Next Generation, she was hopelessly obsessed with it, among many other things.

Her cellphone rang, she reached across the coffee table and grabbed her pink, bedazzled iPhone. She hit the answer button and held it up to her ear, not bothering to pause the episode, if there was one thing she could do, it was multi-task.

"Hello, Kendra Macintyre speaking."

"Hey love," It was her best friend, Iain, he was Scottish, with an adorable accent, and always seemed a bit gay, but she didn't care. "What are you up to?"

"T.N.G." She muttered, Iain always teased her for watching so much TV, but in truth, he was just as obsessed as she was.

He tutted her. "Honestly, and you call yourself an adult, watching Star Trek, and feeling ashamed? Now that's hardly mature, is it?"

She chuckled. "Don't make fun of me, you love Star Trek just as much as I do."

"Aye, I admit it, I do. It's the uniforms."

"Whatever, hey, why don't you come down here and watch it with me? I'm going to watch Doctor Who afterwards."

"I'd love to, but that's not why I called."

"Okay, what's up?" She asked, pausing TNG.

"My mum's not doing so well and I've got to go back to Scotland to see her."

"Oh Iain, I'm sorry, what's she dying of?"

Iain chuckled. "She's not dying, she's just lonely."

"Oh, right." Kendra bit her lip. "When do you leave?"

"Tomorrow."

"Cool, have fun, give Moira a kiss for me and give Lanie a hug if you see her."

"Will do." He sighed. "Bye, love."

Kendra smiled to herself and hit play again.

She loved this episode, the one where Tasha Yar dies, she hated Yar.

Her cellphone rang again, she answered it.

"Hello, Kendra Macintyre speaking."

"Hey, Ken!" Kerri. "What are you doing right this second?"

"Nothing." She said, pausing the episode. "What do you want?"

"Okay first, I heard the 'Lieutenant Worf' in that bald man's lovely voice. Second, I was curious if you were okay, dad says that the police are at your door." She lived right across the street with her parents, so had a clear view and should know that no one was at her door.

"What? There's no police at my door."

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Oh, there's police at my door, I'll be right back." She said, getting up off the couch.

She went to answer the door, there were two policemen standing there, a younger one that was a bit heavier and an older one that was thinner, but shorter. "Hi, how can I help you?" She asked, a slight frown on her face.

"Ms. Macintyre?" The young policeman asked.

"Yes, can I help you?" She repeated, it was a very small town so there was limited reasons why they would want to talk to her.

The older policeman pulled out his handcuffs.

"You're under arrest."