Chapter 1: A Helicopter Needed

Colonel Matthew Kendrick dryly gave his last orders and climbed in threes the steps separating his office from the rest of the camp. He turned and quickly scanned the panorama. In the distance, he could see the columns of smoke, the distant exploding bombs and the attenuated burst of firearms.

They were running out of time.

Three days ago, war had broken out in that forgotten corner of the world, that jungle end of Sri Lanka. Not really peaceful before - hence the presence of the French Foreign Legion there - but this time everything had gone to hell. The rebels had risen up in arms, the government was passive, and as usual, the UN was reluctant to get involved. Without international approval reinforcements couldn't be sent, and at that time they lacked logistics to face the threat. They had to skedaddle and leave the base to its fate.

What the fuck were they doing there? Three years of skirmishes with the local guerrillas and that disgusting jungle, to end up fleeing like cowards.

He gave a last glance at the truckloads of soldiers leaving the camp and hurried into his office. He had spent the last hours burning documents, not just because there was so much to hide, but also because it was impossible to take them with. He just needed to get his stuff and...

A muddy jeep stopped in front of the bunkhouse with a violent halt. That caught Kendrick's attention, who immediately picked up a rifle and walked toward the door. What on earth was going on? He'd been very clear when ordering to evacuate the camp.

"What the...!?" He felt shocked when recognizing the man jumping down from the seat and striding toward him. "I'll be damned...!"

Suddenly a bomb exploded just a few meters from the camps' entrance and blew up another bunkhouse. Kendrick swore and staggered. The newcomer held him, grabbing him by the collar of his jacket, and dragged him into the office.

"Holy shit!" Said the colonel, cheerful, as if the world wasn't collapsing around them, and patted his arm enthusiastically. "Kurtis fucking Trent! The hell are you doing here?"

As if being at home, the ex-legionnaire strode to the armory, opened the door with a yank, pulled out a FAMAS and started loading it at full speed.

"I need a helicopter." He said in reply.

Kendrick blinked, stunned.

"You're kidding, right?" He ran his hand through his short hair. "How many years has it been? Ten, fifteen?"

"Twenty." He dryly replied, and he slung the bullpup rifle over his shoulder. He was dressed in camouflage and had a huge handgun holstered under his armpit. Then he put his hand in the closet again and began pulling out grenades.

"Twenty years! You disappeared without a trace. In fact", he scratched his ear, distracted, "I thought you were dead, actually. What have you been up to? And that haircut?"

"Can you give me that fucking helicopter or not?" Kurtis muttered, still ransacking the ammo closet as if it was his own. "No time for chit-chat, Matt!"

"Colonel Kendrick, asshole." Matt pointed the insignia at his jacket, annoyed. "I've risen pretty much since you vanished. And what the hell you think you're doing? You can't just show up here and steal weapons and transport!"

His former regiment mate turned on his heel and brandished a large knife before him.

"Kabul, 1996. You owe me one."

Kendrick sighed.

"Yeah, you saved my ass. Those Taliban were gonna fuck me up. But letting you sweep weapons and a helicopter from a camp can end with me facing a firing squad."