Chapter One

Robyn

A Year Later

My prerequisite rest was interrupted by soft newborn whimpers. I rolled out of the comfortable bed, knowing that I had to get up. Rubbed my aching eyes, I gazed at the bright red letters that formed on the alarm clock. It was 2:31 am.

"It's okay, baby." I hummed to my now 4 month old daughter. Her cries softened as I cradled her small body in my arms.

Quiet footsteps entered the dark room as I rocked her. "Is she alright?" Channing asked tiredly.

I had been staying at Channing's place for three months. I needed help raising Chloé. After she was born, it was just me by myself with a newborn child. Channing gladly welcomed us, although he expected us to get back together. I made it clear to him that we were strictly friends.

"Yes, she is. She just wants to be held." I kissed her forehead gently walking back over to my side of the queen sized bed of the guest room I and Chloé slept in.

I turned on the lamp and it's dim, yellow light brought soft luminescence to about half of the room. I looked down and examined Chloé's facial features. Her head was full of soft, coal-black curls. Her eyelids slowly opened, revealing her olive colored eyes in which she inherited from me.  Her caramel skin was vibrant. Everything about her was incomparable. She reminded me of her father everyday.

"She's gorgeous." Channing complimented. I did not even notice that he had taken the seat next to me.

"Thank you," I replied with a small smile. Chloé's eyes slowly closed.

It was difficult being around Channing while I was taking care of Chloé; I felt even more guilty being here with her. Channing wanted children ever since we were teenagers. He tried with a lot of effort to assist me with my daughter. I knew he was despondent about the entire situation.

"Here, I can put her back in her crib." Channing offered. I placed Chloé in his arms with care, and he walked her over to the crib, placing her in there.

I glanced over and spotted him looking down on her with a smile. "She looks just like you."

I grinned as Channing sat back down next to me. "You wake up at this time every night don't you?" He quietly chuckled.

"Yeah, I do. She sleeps a lot during the day." Channing stayed silent looking down at the floor.

"What happened to us, Robyn?" He finally asked me followed by a sigh. I knew this would be coming soon.

"Channing-"

"Really. We had made plans to start a family, be married for the rest of our lives, and live a life full of prosperity and happiness."

"I hope you are not referring to my daughter as an impropriety to the 'perfect' life that you propositioned for us. She is far from it."

"I did not say that, Robyn. Here you are, making assumptions. What I'm trying to say is," he paused, "I just hope there is time left so we could continue where we left off."

"Channing," I exhaled deeply. "You know how I feel. I only wish for us to be friends at this point."

"I apologize for not listening to you before. I apologize for not showing you how much I was grateful for you to be in my life all those years. I am willing to do anything so that we could be happy again."